Leylandii to charcoal ? It is worth the time and money?

wrighttrees

Hi all , just cooking Sunday lunch and had an idea of making our arb soft wood waste into charcoal. We sell hardwood logs and have no avenue of using our soft lump wood, mainly leylandii, spruce etc. I know a lot of people who split them for logs, however, all of our customers want hardwood only. I would appreciate any comments or ideas ?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all , just cooking Sunday lunch and had an idea of making our arb soft wood waste into charcoal. We sell hardwood logs and have no avenue of using our soft lump wood, mainly leylandii, spruce etc. I know a lot of people who split them for logs, however, all of our customers want hardwood only. I would appreciate any comments or ideas ?

Softwood doesnt make good charcoal in my experience its becomes very brittle (more than usual) and if its worth burning it holds little heat and burns very quickly.

We are based in Leicestershire, we currently sell our woodchip for biomass , but lump wood ?

too far for me, but I collect/accept wood, stack it to season and have it chipped in the summer for my boiler.

At the moment Im buying chip till I can get ahead with my woodpile

too far for me, but I collect/accept wood, stack it to season and have it chipped in the summer for my boiler.

At the moment Im buying chip till I can get ahead with my woodpile

Is East Sussex too far for you?

So what do you guys do with the bloody stuff?? I struggle to give it away and I'm considering processing and selling as firewood for the customers that want it cheep!! But is it worth it, and will it sell?

It sits in the yard and the pile just grows....!