leyland hydrolics

tree monkey

hi

my mate has a leyland tractor and we are having probs with the loader when you lift the arms they drop then start going up and judder whilst doing it also they are very slow.

I opened a joint on the backend and the oil came out like foam an spluttered occationally as if air is in.

Anyone any ideas

Cheers

he said its on the full on dipstick.hes used universal tractor oil :)

Universal tractor oil is fine unless it has wet brakes. Then you need super universal tractor oil.

If the oil is on the level then I'd be checking (and changing as a matter of course) the filter next. Remember, cleanliness is next to godliness when dealing with hydraulics. You cannot take too long making sure it's clean before you dissasemble.

Don't remember any Leylands I worked on having a dipstick for the back end oil. From memory there's a level bolt on the left hand side of the rear casing just above PTO level. 13/1/2" spanner if I recall correctly. From the symptoms you describe it certainly sounds like lack of oil in the back end. Apologies if it sounds like teaching your mate to suck eggs but he isn't dipping the engine oil assuming one reservoir covers all is he?

Don't remember any Leylands I worked on having a dipstick for the back end oil. From memory there's a level bolt on the left hand side of the rear casing just above PTO level. 13/1/2" spanner if I recall correctly. From the symptoms you describe it certainly sounds like lack of oil in the back end. Apologies if it sounds like teaching your mate to suck eggs but he isn't dipping the engine oil assuming one reservoir covers all is he?

no his has a dipstick next to the gear box.

i went and filled it up yesterday even the tipper and pickup hitch is juddering.

we recently had the backend off to mend the pto and cleaned the filters then.

How is the loader had attached...

I've got this thing in my head about the draft position needing to be in the right setting for them to run smoothly. If its wrong the arm will lift so far and then judder up and down a bit. Like they won't want to settle in one position.

I'm tired and feeling rough so sorry its not a great description.