Hypochondriacs...

Ty Korrigan

Believe me mate, sometimes I want the kids to go school. It is the school that sends them homefor the slightest illness.

I had to take my youngest boy to the doctors last week as the nursery said he had Conjunctivitis and they didnt want it spreading. I told them it wasn't and as he had a runny nose it was probably snot he had rubbed in there. They were having none of it.

So, a missed mornings work, took him back to nursery and told them the doctor had said it was more than likely snot from his nose that had got in his eyes via his hands...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I see it is if you need to take time off for family and folk don't understand do you really want to work for them??? I know my answer

:thumbup1:

Anyone who i have worked for with kids, and have had to call and cancel on due to the kids being ill have totally understood everytime without so much as a quibble. Kids come first

I know what you mean about not good - sometimes the peace and quiet is welcome...! It lasts about 4-6hrs too, which is pretty useful. Tomorrow the plan is that we dose our elder daughter up before she goes in, then I will nip over at lunchtime and administer more. Should see her through to the end of the day with a bit of luck. Can only do this with an accommodating pre-school though.

Alec

Ibuprofen is a anti inflammatory over the counter medication. Although this medication is good for sore muscles and can make some people drowsy, I could not knowingly provide my child much less any child such a medication to provide

peace and quiet. Although I am not a Doctor my better half is a Registered Nurse here in Florida. She has told me that long term use can lead to gastric and intestinal issues for your child:thumbdown: Seriously think twice about giving such meds to your children for the sake of peace and quiet.

easy-lift guy

What you can't see is that they would normally be racing around the house.

Alec

That's exactly right and if the child was dosed up un Nurofen they appear happy, calm and docile. Also some schools won't permit children to return to school until 24hrs after last dose of medicine.

Unfortunately Ty, ones ability to recognise these things doesn't develop until you have your own children. That's not a joke, it's a biological evolutionary thing.

Just be thankful you don't employ a woman who's husband is the main earner. She'd be off work half the time.

Times have moved on Ty, back when I was at school, (yeah we had a slate and chalk back then) you were expected to attend unless you were dead, and still take a note in next day, but these days the schools aren't responsible for your ill kids, that's down to the parents. Teachers are not trained nurses, or child minders, they are there to teach (a quote from a teacher on the radio the other day) . How can other pupils learn if there is a grizzly sniffly coughing kid in the corner disrupting the class? This is the modern way, and something you'll just have to factor into your working life.

Ibuprofen is a anti inflammatory over the counter medication. Although this medication is good for sore muscles and can make some people drowsy, I could not knowingly provide my child much less any child such a medication to provide

peace and quiet. Although I am not a Doctor my better half is a Registered Nurse here in Florida. She has told me that long term use can lead to gastric and intestinal issues for your child:thumbdown: Seriously think twice about giving such meds to your children for the sake of peace and quiet.

easy-lift guy

You've slightly mis-read me there. They will be peaceful and quiet -without- the Nurofen. Give them the Nurofen and they will be back to normal, i.e. racing round the house! The point is it's tempting to withold the medication to get a quiet life (but of course we don't!).

It's not long-term usage - we're talking about a couple of doses for a couple of days, then they probably won't need any for a few months. As it happens, they probably won't be going in today as No.1 daughter woke up with a temperature of 39 and No.2 daughter looks terrible, even though she seems happy enough and her temperature is OK. We will probably give her a half dose of Nurofen, which takes away the swelling around her eyes, making her more comfortable, and then play it by ear.

Alec

Things are so different theese days

Don't remember a cold or flu being a a good enough excuse to skip school unless you started projectile vomiting everywhere.

Also parents never used to give any medicine for children for cold or flu etc apart from calpol if it was serious a temperature.

Now it seems to be more the opnion of the child rather than just the school teacher etc or the dinner lady in my old primary school.

You've slightly mis-read me there. They will be peaceful and quiet -without- the Nurofen. Give them the Nurofen and they will be back to normal, i.e. racing round the house! The point is it's tempting to withold the medication to get a quiet life (but of course we don't!).

It's not long-term usage - we're talking about a couple of doses for a couple of days, then they probably won't need any for a few months. As it happens, they probably won't be going in today as No.1 daughter woke up with a temperature of 39 and No.2 daughter looks terrible, even though she seems happy enough and her temperature is OK. We will probably give her a half dose of Nurofen, which takes away the swelling around her eyes, making her more comfortable, and then play it by ear.

Alec

Thanks for the clarification Alec:thumbup1:

easy-lift guy