Tennis elbow

Graham S

I suffer really bad from it and went to my local health shop as i dont like taking chemicals. My practitioner said that it is a lack of calcium in the joints that does it so put me on a course of calcium and magnesium. Within a week the pain had completely gone.. I thought it was a placebo effect so finished the bottle and within a fortnight the pain had come back. I bought another bottle and the pain went again!

I take one a day with my breakfast and think nothing of it now... Nearly a miracle to be free from the crippling pain!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This info leaflet explains why steroid injections are not currently advised

Epicondylitis - Lateral and Medial | Doctor | Patient.co.uk

Info link does not seem to suggest that injections are not recommended, just gives pros and cons of various treatments.

I was advised by GP last week that he would happily administer injection if anti- imflammatorys were not successful.

It is the GPS' choice I believe and not a nationwide recommendation.

I think the "they are harmful in the long term" is perhaps the relevant bit.

Quote below -

In most situations, steroid injections should not be used as, although they lead to very good results in the short term (six weeks), they are harmful in the longer term (more than three months). In one study, short-term success rates were greater than for physiotherapy or a wait-and-see policy, but in the long term (one year), success rates were greater for both physiotherapy and a wait-and-see policy than for injections.

Yeah, point taken.

But the ' in most situations' could easily mean 51% of situations, and GPS' have to decide which reports are relevant and which aren't. I think the vast majority would advise against making medical judgements from google, which we all tend to do.

Good point. But we have to make judgements from scientifically evaluated evidence. So steroid injections were standard treatment 3 years ago and now aren't, because they generally lead to a worse outcome and can weaken the tendon permanently which as a heavy manual worker is very bad news. The evidence therefore says - Best avoided.

I have not long been diagnosed with tennis elbow and I have to admit its not nice even to the point where it keeps me awake at night , the doctor prescribed naproxen and 2 weeks complete rest but it's only day 2 and I'm going stir crazy I'm also waiting to have a steroid injection ... Any remedies or do,s and donts you lot could advise , cheers .

Careful if you go for the jag , I did and the Doc managed to catch a nerve at the same time !! Trust me the tennis elbow was sore alright but nothing to the pain from the nerve , took a year to get better , every time I picked something up I was in agony .

TS :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: