Opinions on this chesnut?

YoGi_93

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Getting back to your tree, its always hard to tell with limited photographic disclosures of a case, but The Horse chestnut is having a very tough timein the U.K due to psuedomona = the bleeding canker. It kills off strips of cambium in vertical alignments which exposes the woody tissues to heart rotting fungi and bacterias. The pattern is usualy Pluerotus ostreatus followed by flamulina velutipes and often also accompanied by the silverleaf fungus chondrosterum purpureum, at which point managment is difficult to say the least and is usualy a felling but yours may or may not have psuedomona, if it does its early days and may or may not overcome this depending on severity and growing conditions. Limb loss is a high potential as decay progresses through the exposed wood from the strip cankers so any heavy overloaded limbs will be in need of some reduction in the short term managment.

here are some images of some of the symptoms and states we can expect in the case of Psuedomona, but as Mr Vine hinte at armillaria is also a high potential culprit, feeled one myself this weekend that was riddled with the mycelium under the bark but no external signs.

heres a few to get going,im having trouble finding a few key ones, be back in a bit:thumbup:

597663b368b99_funguy(20).jpg.1e06bf7a0bb5ac84dfae1bc3325b343e.jpg

P1070973.jpg.14c89108b3d66270ed848a2bea1d89cb.jpg

597663b3702a4_rizomorph100(2).jpg.328390da21a954dfd7a4e56de29dfafa.jpg

597663b3723f6_rizomorph102(2).jpg.bf83644349dd58881bdc3edae3d0a669.jpg

P1070990.jpg.7c9fb9ae6464f6e693b439145de2717a.jpg

597663b72d912_23012010173.jpg.64a0a799c3c6db7f2c34dd18b2647ced.jpg

597663b730a87_kewbmsopen09057.jpg.7d5fbca83712207963f4fd71b5081178.jpg

Edited by Steve Bullman
don't push it Tony

Some lovely images Mr T. The shot with the woodlouse; is that Flammulina exposed after bark has been knocked off, or something else?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I was never 100% certain as there was copious amounts of P.ostreatus, armillaria and flamulina all in close proximity, I think these structures are young rhizomorphs of armillaria, under bark and compressed, very fresh obviously

Semi relevant question here... I was looking at a goosed HC the other day, looked similar but bark in many places peeling, some missing all together, big (big) cracks all over and F.velupites all up the main stem, I was thinking surely BC when on the phone but when I went to look there was no evidence of associated gooey black mess anywhere, is there a chance that its been in, done its thing and the goo has washed off at a later date? Sorry if that's a daft question, still learning...:thumbup:

Semi relevant question here... I was looking at a goosed HC the other day, looked similar but bark in many places peeling, some missing all together, big (big) cracks all over and F.velupites all up the main stem, I was thinking surely BC when on the phone but when I went to look there was no evidence of associated gooey black mess anywhere, is there a chance that its been in, done its thing and the goo has washed off at a later date? Sorry if that's a daft question, still learning...:thumbup:

spot on:thumbup1:

I've got a chestnut to take out in the next few weeks. Bleeding canker in a limb has allowed a weak spot to form, looks like white rot, dropped an 8" limb into the road. Customer asked about removing 2/3 of the tree leaving a suppressed stem remaining. No chance I said. The main tension roots and parts of the stem had plenty decay in them! Was not leaving that there. Will try and get back in some daylight and get some pictures for this thread. It's got extensive wounding and BC and signs of further infection but not sure what yet.