What license for a unimog?

Timber Tom

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering what license is required for driving a unimog? Is it a full lorry license (7.5t) or can it be classed as agricultural, and so no need for a license?

Cheers.

Tom.

this will open that can of worms again but as far as i know if it is ag, you can drive one on a provisional liscence, maybe even when you are 16 on a tractor liscence, i had one when i was 16 and bombed about everywhere in an old massey.:001_smile:

If its agricultural you just need a provisional. Though when you run on red diesel you should not carry a load but put it in a trailer. You may also be in trouble if you travel over 20mph on public highways. Dont forget your L plates. No motorway driving in tractors and you need amber beacons on main roads.

The law is very grey in this area due to the multipurpose construction of the vehicle. Get something in writing from the DVLA. Then you can work to that.

If its agricultural you just need a provisional. Though when you run on red diesel you should not carry a load but put it in a trailer. You may also be in trouble if you travel over 20mph on public highways. Dont forget your L plates. No motorway driving in tractors and you need amber beacons on main roads.

The law is very grey in this area due to the multipurpose construction of the vehicle. Get something in writing from the DVLA. Then you can work to that.

Could you tell me what difference the trailer makes?

at 16 with an F category licence you are restricted to tractors <20mph, <2.45m wide, towing a single axel trailer or twin axel close coupled.

to drive a Unimog (agricultural)

you must be 17 & have your full "B" car licence if it is an agricultural tractor.

if it is not an agricultural tractor but is still an agricultural machine (i.e. combine, forage harvester, SP sprayer, forestry forwarder, forestry processor, skidder, etc) then it is 17 with a full "B" car licence for agricultural machine <3500kg, 18 with a full "B" car licence if >3500kg but under <7500kg & you must be 21 with a full "B" car licence if above >7500kg.

at 16 with an F category licence you are restricted to tractors <20mph, <2.45m wide, towing a single axel trailer or twin axel close coupled.

to drive a Unimog (agricultural)

you must be 17 & have your full "B" car licence if it is an agricultural tractor.

if it is not an agricultural tractor but is still an agricultural machine (i.e. combine, forage harvester, SP sprayer, forestry forwarder, forestry processor, skidder, etc) then it is 17 with a full "B" car licence for agricultural machine <3500kg, 18 with a full "B" car licence if >3500kg but under <7500kg & you must be 21 with a full "B" car licence if above >7500kg.

thats good to know:001_smile: