The Art of Zig Zag

silky fox

Oh yes I've had that thick diaretic slush oozing from it and have to say it works just as well in the wet as the dry.

Yup got to agree with that but today I had a Lombardy poplar dismantle with a crane, alot of up down work and it has started to shag my rope I'm noticing lots of strands getting plucked out. It looks like its the bottom 2 rails causing the damage, as the rope runs over them under load its stretching the yarns out and catches them on the sharp edges of the indents. Hope that's makes sense

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup got to agree with that but today I had a Lombardy poplar dismantle with a crane, alot of up down work and it has started to shag my rope I'm noticing lots of strands getting plucked out. It looks like its the bottom 2 rails causing the damage, as the rope runs over them under load its stretching the yarns out and catches them on the sharp edges of the indents. Hope that's makes sense

Yeah I had a good look at my zig zag today, now the anodising is wearing and surfaces are getting shiny I can see the wear/contact points, after looking at mogs pics trying to figure out where it could happen this area seems the most likely, it also appears my pulley has shifted slightly (only a mm) and looking at the tachyon pic In this thread which appears to have the wear on one side again makes this area look to "possibly" be the cause. I can't understand why they didn't make it wider and chamfered.

I'll be monitoring it closely I'm concerned the pulley may touch the side causing it to pinch the rope. Joe can you get a pic of this area on yrs and post it? Also do it under load.

Yeah I had a good look at my zig zag today, now the anodising is wearing and surfaces are getting shiny I can see the wear/contact points, after looking at mogs pics trying to figure out where it could happen this area seems the most likely, it also appears my pulley has shifted slightly (only a mm) and looking at the tachyon pic In this thread which appears to have the wear on one side again makes this area look to "possibly" be the cause. I can't understand why they didn't make it wider and chamfered.

I'll be monitoring it closely I'm concerned the pulley may touch the side causing it to pinch the rope. Joe can you get a pic of this area on yrs and post it? Also do it under load.

Yea i will try my best to take some pictures in a bit but I might not be able to get a picture of it loaded until tomorrow as I have no trees to hang from. Shower then il sort it!

Yup i think the more people will use then more this is going to come out. i am a lead climber and usually climb for 6hrs day, so in the short period i use the ZZ 2 weeks. i notice massive wear on ropes. hence going back to the HC, which is abit of a shame after i spent all that money.

so i think its the links doing the damage not the pulley or the side of the pulley as people have mention. as its constant little wear over the whole rope, then we you do a swing or fast descent is when i think it starts snagging and pulling frays/strands out.

i thought of this today, doesnt fix the wear issue but i think fixes alot of the others. I.e Hand burning/ not haul line for gear/ second attachetment point ( back of pinto). seems to be a perfect match. will try tomz got 3 big trees to prune and give the feedback.

DSCF3146.jpg.0d4666388e73928d3bdf4ce9917a9b29.jpg

DSCF3140.jpg.857f747c61e815c9e7d665a88e2615d2.jpg

DSCF3139.jpg.5b65ce1d1dffac8bec01296b9e35ee28.jpg

DSCF3138.jpg.b118295df6ed495aaa9017e8f6a6f470.jpg

DSCF3137.jpg.c763b92462c8e74bd368c03341ff7693.jpg

I think its a shame mog if your rope is being damaged by the device it's not fit for purpose and you should be able to get your money back or a replacement that is, it's a premium product by a leading manufacturer after all!

I don't think it's the pulley more the links that connect to the pulley, I'm only thinking out loud but appears my line runs slightly offset allow the rope to run onto the link.

I hate to be an arse but the slightest bit of damage to my line and I want my money back.