1950 Rayburn No2 Solid Fuel Potential

loskie

As requested:

we are about to embark on a renovation of part of our cottage. With this we will be removing a Rayburn no2 Oil Fired Stove. This would have started life as a solid fuel model and has since been converted to oil. An old farmer I visited has one the same and told me he fitted his new in 1952.

We have been in this house 6 years and as the Rayburn no longer heats water or radiators (village is now on mains gas and combi boiler fitted) it just heats our kitchen and is used for cooking. We only have it on from Nov to April Makes great roast tatties.

Has a backboiler which is disconnected but I guess could be reinstated.

Could be re converted back to solid fuel.

I am going to be cooking on gas and fitting a used Stockton 7 multifuel stove to the new kitchen living area in its place as a heat source.

Would this Rayburn be likely to be able to be sold and if so what kind of price could one reasonably expect?

Works fine and looks ok for 60 odd yr old. and located in SW Scotland(not remote).

thanks for looking at my first post although I have used this forum a while being an avid firewood vulture as a mate recently called me.(we already have another woodburner in the rest of our cottage)

Polite and constructive advice welcome!!

cheers

Loskie

P1030523.jpg.7d38d5c4e516c1261a875bcde643590f.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes it will sell on Ebay. Expect very little.

Your location isn't in your favour, oil isn't popular (solid fuel is) and reconverting them back is fairly expensive on parts, although possible. Cutting the oil pipe in will have made a hole in either the door or the front and filling this neatly is next to impossible.

If you go over £50 consider you've done well, although the apparently good condition of the enamel suggests you might get something for it from someone looking for spares.

Alec

Just recently converted ours over from oil , same as yours.They're fetching about €400 over here as private sales converted back to solid fuel.I was offered €100 from a company dealing in refurbed Rayburn/Aga models against a €3500 refurbed model :sneaky2: They're a doddle to change back , full set of bricks ,new riddling grate & frame €160 approx and about half a day of my own time. I only needed two bricks (wrap round boiler) but had to buy the full set.The oil feed entered via the left hand side and was easily repaired.That one looks to be in great condition:thumbup1:

Just recently converted ours over from oil , same as yours.They're fetching about €400 over here as private sales converted back to solid fuel. They're a doddle to change back , full set of bricks ,new riddling grate & frame €160 approx and about half a day of my own time.

In the UK they're not making as much - see Ebay completed listings. A clean solid fuel one is currently making about £200-300, depending largely on location, although a lot more for a commercial one (£2-3k). There are more Royals about than No.2s - main difference being the top which has a hinged cover on the Royal, and the flue design. Many of the frame parts are interchangeable (have the same serial numbers if you download their respective manuals). A set of firebricks is about £80, the grate and frame £50 and the ashpan about £25, so about £155 in parts, plus about £20 in postage if you can't get them at internet prices locally. If there's £175 to spend, and you can get a working one for under £300, it's not surprising that converted ones aren't making much.

It does look nice and clean, but it's a shame they went in through the front with the oil pipe, rather than the side.

Alec

As agg221 has stated it will sell on eBay but don't expect big money.

I was looking for one recently for someone and you can pick them up from £50 to £500, one's in A1 condition go for more clearly but your location drives a massive part of the price. Have a look at the completed listings on eBay and you can see what they are making, I'd say most go for between £50 and £250.