living in a caravan or static home

frenchy

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Done the log burner, Know of others that has done it.

As for own land it seems if you flaunt the laws you get entitled to it.

However as long as a dwelling of this kind doesn't have a kitchen with such facilities you don't need planning. Just put it up!!!!!!!

You would have to verify this for yourself in detail though.

Excellent for bachelor pad. Saws on table etc. But you have a lot to sort when a woman comes on the scene>

I currently working on my new home, should be ready in 2 or 3 months. It's already part converted, but needs improving.

As you can see it already has a woodburner (i've ripped out that crap kitchen already, getting a new one built by my carpenter housemate), it's essential in a live-in vehicle, not only to keep it nice and warm, but to stave off damp. (make sure you get a carbon monoxide & smoke alarm!!)

A very cheap way of life, especially being completely off grid.

RE: planning, i'd say just park it up as out of the way as possible :)

w9thf6.jpg

6qlc1z.jpg

If you own your own land, adhere to the "temporary planning" rules. A relation of mine has had "temporary planning" for the last 11 years. He was told if he applied for permanent, he definitely wouldn't get it. Ok, so every 5 years he has to re-submit an application, but it works. He's been Unofficially told that the status quo will continue so long as he's alive, then will be revoked upon death or leaving the land. Have some livestock to tend, lambs are probably best, though I know of someone who has rare breed pigs and that works for them, charcoal burning is another. Educate neighbours, parish council as to why you are wanting to live in such a way, get people onside. It's okay adopting the old "New Age Traveller" attitude, but be prepared for a whole load of hassles.

There must be 100's of caravans locally with people living in them. In fields hidden behind trees or hedges, or amongst ruined farm buildings, espescially down the remote country lanes, I notice them all when I go on bike rides, & can sometimes smell the woodstove smoke before i spot them.

Don't think most people living here realize there are so many as they don't travel all the back roads much or pay attention as there often well hidden.

Number locally has increases I reckon in the last few years due to the economy & house prices.

Also some gypsy or traveller type encampment of about 10 old buses etc in layby on a mainroad has being in same place over 4 years, right in plain view.

I live in one, plannings a nightmare, if its well hidden then try and get away without it. i was stiched up so had to apply, i have tempory permission and have to reapply every 3years.

I installed a log burner, rather than go through the roof i blocked off one of the doors and sent it out there. It my only source of heating and keeps me toasty even on the coldest of nights.

My Dad used to have a static on a caravan site, that had a coal fired stove with back boiler central heating. When it got broken by a heavy handed chimney sweep, he replaced it with a villager puffin multifuel with back boiler. it was not very good with coal as it was a very small opening and the firebox was small. difficult with logs over 2" diameter too. A good solid base for it made of concrete or similar so you dont burn the floor with embers etc. With a radiator in every room and upvc double glazing it was toasty.