The trailer that George built...well sort of

Coletti

Hey guys, due to the towing capacity of my truck I am quite limited on weight, there for I decided I would mod a trailer to save as much weight as possible and to accommodate a chipper at the front of the trailer and a tipping chip box at the rear. Picked my self up a nice 9x6 trailer with a beaver tail and have got round to making a start today so thought I'd post some pics up of my progress so far.

Here's the original trailer

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1361129688.913764.jpg.884afd6cab9086f5da16566712854815.jpg

First step was to start stripping weight and remove the main bed leaving me with just the chassis

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1361129750.687038.jpg.228104dc66fed97d2bdffda38b13ff67.jpg

Next step was to reinforce the chassis with 60x40 channel iron and prep the base of the chip box using a section of the original bed

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1361129893.266233.jpg.b19c45e93e7a5e02bb7f7ef540a020e0.jpg

As soon as it arrives I shall be mounting an electric hydraulic ram under the bed as the tipping system and I shall upload more pics when I have got a bit more done to it. Also, if anyone has any lightweight and not too expensive suggestions for what to use for the sides of the chip box that would be gratefully received, I was thinking along the lines of some sort of weld mesh.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after the concern with nose weight I have moved the front axle forward a bit to try and compensate, I have also decided that unless the chip box is actually being used and is full of chip the chipper will travel around in the box and only go on the front when necessary. The ladders that the chipper will sit on are now made up, sprayed and welded to the chassis and I have also made the ramps to drive the chipper onto the trailer

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1361640379.337952.jpg.03e8d0b49ce3f34860ceca34e785eabe.jpg.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

The ramps are completely removable and able to use from both sides :). I'm not sure what distance they are, it's not too far, I wasn't aware there was a legal limit :confused1:. Have you any ideas on how far apart they can be if there is a legal limit? I'm sure it'll be fine but would be nice to check.