Husqvarna 61 - maintenance query

flintandsteel

It could be a multitude of things but worth checking the piston through the exhuast port as Stubby mentioned.

Make sure the air filter isn't covered in crap, worth pulling the cover on the carb held on by a single screw and checking there isn't loads of sawdust in the gauze filter.

Try running the saw with the fuel cap a bit loose, it may be a tank venting issue - fair bit to work on there.

One other possibillity is an air leak - this can lean down the saw affecting its idleing.

As above and check carb for crap on top of diaphragm under plate 4 screws.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning fellas

I'm not liking what I'm seeing or hearing. The side of the piston looks a hint scorped and it pulls over with squeak like a metallic gerbil.

Reckon run lean, overheated and *d !

Working through the bits recomended, fine dust but not in any serious quantity, a thin fine covering but not drifts of it.

Plug on the brown side - lean running.

Lost my handbook, where's the fuel filter hiding.

Overall I'd like to get it running. It only ever gets light logging use in season and I don't fancy laying out on a new beastie.

Ok ! Got the head off and the news is the piston's had it. However the bore looks and feels fine. How far can I trust my judgement?

Next move please.

Morning fellas

I'm not liking what I'm seeing or hearing. The side of the piston looks a hint scorped and it pulls over with squeak like a metallic gerbil.

Reckon run lean, overheated and *d !

Working through the bits recomended, fine dust but not in any serious quantity, a thin fine covering but not drifts of it.

Plug on the brown side - lean running.

Lost my handbook, where's the fuel filter hiding.

Overall I'd like to get it running. It only ever gets light logging use in season and I don't fancy laying out on a new beastie.

Ok ! Got the head off and the news is the piston's had it. However the bore looks and feels fine. How far can I trust my judgement?

Next move please.

O.K. spud will confirm later but what it sounds like to me is possibly old fuel or wrong mix? or possibly air leek making it lean . All this needs to be addressed before rebuilding or you will be back were we are now . If the bore looks not too bad then you need to clean off all the aluminum that has transferred from the old piston . Spud will tell you the best method . He will also advise on the best after market piston if you can't get / afford an OEM one . All is mnot lost !!:thumbup:

:001_smile: Well here's hoping.

It's fairly well in bits at this stage so a real good chance to give it a total clean down.

Found a crack in the fuel pipe so far.

Washed out the air filter which wasn't that bad.

Fuel - how old is old? Might be 6 monts + is that old?

Is the fuel filter in the tank or the carb reservoire?

The clutch break went on as I lifted it off - I recall having a struggle getting it off before - I think it's a strip and re-set from memory.

Jon

Yep split in fuel line will make it run lean . Fuel filter is in tank dangling on the end of said fuel line . Six weeks is pushing it a bit ,six months is asking for trouble me thinks . Bummer abut chain brake going on . You might be able to hold it in a vice , between two blocks of wood and insert something in the mech and rotate it to reset it .

Get an image of the piston and cylinder up on the site so we can see it - if it has seized, it would mark the cylinder bore so not sure how it can be OK - it will be obvious with images.

Old fuel - fuel needs to be drained out of the saw if left for more than a week or two and then refilled before use.