Big Snatch

Ewan Murray

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a lot of people have failed to mention the weirdest thing about this vid, turn up the volume, skip to around 3.57 then listen to the slow motion laughs at 3.59, sounds like a nightmare, ohhhhhhhohoho followed by ack ack ack, could've been a wombat mind....:biggrin: on the whole, it's a cool vid.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa1SAkP0wx0]big rigging gone wrong - YouTube[/ame]

as for bigger trees having nothing to do with the skill of the climber , absolute nonsense , takes a lot of skill, as iv realised in the last couple years .

nobody said anything about 'bigger trees having nothing to do with the skill of the climber'

I said

You'll find people all over the world with excellent skills in rigging/treeclimbing regardless of the size of the trees.

which means a good climber will be able to adapt to different trees in a multitude of different situations.

Maybe you had to be there. Probably it was fun to watch. Cant say Im sorry I wasn't there though, if Im honest. No offense.

I wasn't feeling it. That rope was either gonna break, or hold. Who cares.

You're not gonna do that over someones property, regardless of what may or may not have happened in the vid. So really....was that a workshop?.... or for the craic? fair enough.

Before that, nice neat cutting, stripping out a big tree in the bush. Everything favoured, so what can you say about it!

Is there any more footage from the workshop, Ewan? the how-too part? Thanks

Hi guys

Thanks for all the constructive criticism. I was planning to post this here - just been way too busy this last week - along with an explanation of the setup that might have answered some of the points raised.

Why the shackle?

Given the setup we were using (cradle rigging), and trying to minimise the drop distance, the pulley/shackle stood a good chance of being crushed between the falling log and the tree. 40mm rigging pulleys are too expensive for this purpose. In retrospect, we should have used 2 shackles to increase the bend radius.

Why cradle rigged?

It doubles the rope to the dropped log. Sure, we lost strength at the bend on the shackle, but probably still ended up better than a straight (single line) rig.

Why pay out loads of rope and wrap round trees?

No friction device exists (or is affordable) that could handle those loads. So, we paid out 100m of rope, and used the extension in the cordage (7-8% elastic elongation at break) to compensate for not being able to let it run. That part kind of worked - if you watch the video, the log (kind of) runs for a bit before the rope breaks.

what was the point?

We didn't achieve any breakthroughs in science or rigging, that's for sure. But it was fun, and interesting to talk about (ie, why we did everything the way we did, and what went wrong - covered in far more detail at the workshop than here online). Plus, we rarely get the opportunity to test stuff like this - if it can be dropped, it gets dropped, and if it has to be rigged, we make sure it works, as the man says.

I'm sorry some of you took this the wrong way. We were mainly playing, and the video was pretty firmly tongue-in-cheek. I guess that kind of humour is easy to miss online.

We were mainly playing, and the video was pretty firmly tongue-in-cheek. I guess that kind of humour is easy to miss online.

I thought that was pretty obvious from the start, really can't work out why people are getting their knickers in a twist about this!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I thought that was pretty obvious from the start, really can't work out why people are getting their knickers in a twist about this!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Absolutely totally agree, a bit of fun at the end of a workshop, which actually stops and makes you think!!

Calm down dears!! :laugh1: