Cutter angles

athelstan

I own a couple of Stihl saws and have just bought a Husky 365 to join them. I'm not the best at reading instructions but for the first time I notice that angle for the file on the Stihl is 30 degrees whilst that of the Husky it is 25 degrees. For years I have been using the Husky roller guide gauge on the Stihl saws which I presume is set at 25 degrees.

The chains seem to cut OK. Can I carry on using the Husky roller guide on the Stihl saws as this is the gauge I feel happier with?

You will gather from this that I'm a rank amateur and would appreciate your advice.

As a general rule, I always understood that 30 degrees was good for hardwoods, 25 was good for softwoods. A smaller angle cuts faster, but is weaker, and would need more sharpening. I tend to use 30 degrees, as most of my stuff is hardwood.

:dito:

I own a couple of Stihl saws and have just bought a Husky 365 to join them. I'm not the best at reading instructions but for the first time I notice that angle for the file on the Stihl is 30 degrees whilst that of the Husky it is 25 degrees. For years I have been using the Husky roller guide gauge on the Stihl saws which I presume is set at 25 degrees.

The chains seem to cut OK. Can I carry on using the Husky roller guide on the Stihl saws as this is the gauge I feel happier with?

You will gather from this that I'm a rank amateur and would appreciate your advice.

it is all down to the chain rather than the saw

ie i use stihl chain on husq saws

problem with using the roller guide on stihl chain is the top angle will be wrong....

oregon who make roller guides have a 10 degree drop on the back where as still is flat at 90 degrees to the bar so all will be wrong

most oregon is 30 degrees also

also if using 3/8 chain the file size is different between oregon and stihl so again roller no good

hope that makes sense

I thought oregon chisel chain was supposed to be sharpened at 25 degree's but stihls all are sharpened at 30 (not ripping) Using the rollers on stihl chain as Bob says will alter the angle as its got a built in back angle of 10 degree's and i thought they were also chain specific as well as pitch regarding top plate angle. Would using an incorrect one surely not alter side plate angle which is where the hard work is done by the cutter? I always thought chisel chain was good for hardwoods and semi for soft but certainly wouldn't say you couldn't use either on either but personnel preference or saw power may dictate what you use. If your unsure just buy a generic file and guide and add or remove back angle or top plate angle as and when you need.

Canal Navvy where are you based as I have no problems getting 5.2mm (13/64ths) files so tell your dealer they are out there! Alot of people will just use a 7/32 file but i found you can't gullet the cutter as good when it starts to get shorter as you file it back so usually drop down to a 3/16ths to help with this although probably not recommended if you can get the proper files.

• 3 months later...
As a general rule, I always understood that 30 degrees was good for hardwoods, 25 was good for softwoods. A smaller angle cuts faster, but is weaker, and would need more sharpening. I tend to use 30 degrees, as most of my stuff is hardwood.

lol,We do it 25 for hardwood and 30 for softwood.I realise that this sounds backwards but we do 25 so that the chain remains sharp for longer than it does at 30 on genuine hardwood.Try for yourself,We also prefer semi chisel for hardwood so that the chain remains sharp for longer than does full chisel on genuine hardwood.Interested in any comments on this.:001_smile: