show us your knives

John Shutler

Thought this thread was worth a revival. I'm not much for fixed blades myself. I don't do enough hunting to warrant one. I do like to carry a knife when it's useful though. 

The bigger one is a cold steel folding kukri, which I like for its robust lockup (probably the strongest folder on the market) and decent handle. The steel is a bit crap though (aus10) and its looks pretty murdery.

The smaller is a Spyderco UK legal, which is almost the opposite end of the spectrum. 2.5" blade and very light, you don't know its there. The steel is also scary sharp. I haven't had to properly sharpen it yet, just touch it up with the ceramic rod. The downside is its not much good for anything other than cutting rope or opening boxes. The lack of a lock means it's a bit sketch to do anything more than that.

UK knife laws are a bit daft imo

20220416_221541.jpg

20220416_221635.jpg

A friend has a UKPK. Lovely thing.

My daily is a CRKT with a really slippy detente. I think there’s a thrust bearing in there. The absolute lack of lock reminds me to not try anything too heavy with it and to go and get the right tool. Most useful thing about it is one handed opening AND CLOSING.
IMG_1650145793.441155.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AHPP said:

A friend has a UKPK. Lovely thing.

My daily is a CRKT with a really slippy detente. I think there’s a thrust bearing in there. The absolute lack of lock reminds me to not try anything too heavy with it and to go and get the right tool. Most useful thing about it is one handed opening AND CLOSING.
IMG_1650145793.441155.jpg

Crkt do some nice tools for sure.

Closing has never been an issue with a locking knife or a slip joint, I just use my leg against the back of the blade. 

Your take on the UK knife law would be interesting actually, Alex. I'm pretty sure I could use either tool for nefarious reasons if I were inclined

51 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

Crkt do some nice tools for sure.

Closing has never been an issue with a locking knife or a slip joint, I just use my leg against the back of the blade. 

Your take on the UK knife law would be interesting actually, Alex. I'm pretty sure I could use either tool for nefarious reasons if I were inclined

£16 I think so a budget item. Probably the worst steel available but it does little day to day stuff fine. Bought on a whim because it was heavily discounted and it's turned out to be brilliant. The flip close is handier than you think.

I know the s 139 and offensive weapons basics and one of my Regina v AHPP wins was a very short s 139 pointed article joust about a corkscrew on a Swiss Army Knife. Annoyingly didn't make it past plea and case management. The laws on weapons (or what most people think of when you say weapons) are bollocks. I've had to surrender juggling balls and flasks of tea at court security when I could just as easily lash and strangle people with my belt, bray them with a heavy file or break a bathroom mirror for a slasher/stabber. A noteworthy majority of court buildings also have internal balconies. Ideal for throwing people over or hoying a bin at someone two floors below. Regulating weapons is pointless. Guns don't kill people, rappers do.

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 2

Some lovely tools on this post👍👍

My go to knife for years has been a mora clipper/companion or the bahco wrecking knife/chisel (we call them 'chifes' at work). But these days my most used knife by a country mile is a makita folding Stanley, it lives in my pocket basically all the time👌 

My nicest knife is probably a folding gerber, chunky rubber grips, a gutting hook(never used but gives the tip end a nice chunky shape) and a lovely edge- I have a 4 inch , 15 year old scar to prove it!!!

I can't see me ever buying a really decent fixed blade, I just don't do enough fine knife work to justify it.