landy defender here I come!

the hedge man

Luke. I love a Land Rover as much as the next man, if that next man has grown up with them, has to own at least 2 at any given time and wouldn't countenance even riding in a japanese pick up.

HOWEVER. You can't buy squat for a grand these days, and Im not just talking about Defenders. Or early coilers. Or clapped out Discos. Or leafers.

I paid £900 for my V8 Disco at the end of 2009. It was a bargain even then. And since then they seem to have steadily climbed.

Defenders have always held their money so unless you happen to drop on an exception rather than the rule, you wont't have any choice before you're spending £3k, and even then it will be a bit of a nail.

Land Rovers are expensive to own and run, as are most 4x4's.

If you're set on a Land Rover for little money you should probably consider a Freelander 1 TD4 commercial. Still not as cheap as £1k but unlikely to have been hammered quite like it's bigger brothers, cheap to run, plenty of room in the back and good off road.

The other solution is you just keep the Navara you just struggled to hold onto....

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a landy 110 and for some reason I love it- BUT, in the three years I've had it I've only had to replace the rear end of the chassis, the engine, power steering box, fuel tank, front steering swivels, seats, windscreen, bonnet, headlights, transfer box, rear springs and a few smaller bits.

I got mine as a 6 year old ex mod soft top V8 in 96, used it every day in a 20 mile radius from home till 2009, only bought hardtop tyres, petrol tank and a lpg conversion and crudely repaired two accidents' damage. It's not pretty.

Yes it has some rust in chassis and top of bulk head but all repairable.

Because I haven't used it for 4 years it has to go but I would expect it to give a fair few more years use.

Cheers Worcswuss for in depth and informative advice.

My mind is made up, im going to save up for one properly, I will start looking in a few months when I have saved up a few grand.

Cheers fellow arbtalkers I think you may very well have saved my bacon. Cheers

Good plan. As vehicles go they're a good investment, they hang onto their money well, especially if looked after. Just make sure you look at lots and get the best you can afford. Look beyond accessories and find a clean standard one.

Leasing is only really worth doing if you can get the vat back. My last company car (BMW) was leased but if it was genuinely better for the customer than the leasing company, then leasing wouldn't exist. Stick with ownership. I opted out and bought my own car instead this time around, on a straight forward finance package, no balloon. Definitely the right thing to do and I know where I stand.

If you can drive Excel then you should do yourself a spreadsheet for all the costs. Makes you realise how much we underestimate things! :001_smile:

Edited by WorcsWuss

If anyone wants the old truck its listed on gumtree as 'nissan navara bargain'.

decided to sell finally as I really need to get back on the road, I've got a list of jobs that customers have now jumped up to get the work done with the break in the weather.

Or a swap for a defender please

Edited by the hedge man