Chain adjusting help

wayne 4098

Hi i bought a new bar and chain and cant seem to get the adjustment right.After i adjust the chain and run the saw on half reves for a minute the chain sags.Ive tried different adjustments and the same happens.The chain isent hot at the time .It was same with old bar and chain thats why i got a new one.Is it ok running the saw with the chain sagging a bit?Thanks

It may not be the chain/bar but more of the adjustment screw etc it self. Have u looked at that part as well?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Yep. Look into the adjuster. Knowing what saw it is helps. :001_rolleyes:

Depending on what type of adjuster the tread on it may have gone allowing it to adjust up but work back down the threaded bar with use.

The bar has to be lifted into the working position prior to tension . Turn the bar nuts finger tight , hold the saw by the back handle check the desired tension . , adjust if needs be . nip the nuts so the bar can't move down again . Now tighten fully pushing spanner forward at the same time causing downward pressure on the bar ,. and Alexander is a Mere Cat . Simples !

The bar has to be lifted into the working position prior to tension . Turn the bar nuts finger tight , hold the saw by the back handle check the desired tension . , adjust if needs be . nip the nuts so the bar can't move down again . Now tighten fully pushing spanner forward at the same time causing downward pressure on the bar ,. and Alexander is a Mere Cat . Simples !

Yeah, listen to Treequip and Stubby - common mistake not to push the bar upwards on doing up the bar nuts - first time out, the bar moves upwards and the chain sags.

My method is to do the bar nuts up to the point the bar will just move between the side cover and bar mount then I rest my left arm on the top handle/chain brake and then pull the chain off the top rail hard and doo up the bar nuts - if it is a bit loose then tighten a little and try again.

It is all the same though, just works on my bench this way:thumbup:

Hi thanks for the replies.Its a modified stihl bar and chain on a sachs dolmar 123 but its a solid nose bar.Ive had the adjuster off and its ok and when adjusting i hold the bar up then tighten nuts and check again.Ive checked for play in bearing and its ok .ive renewed the drum and sprocket as well.Ive been told not to adjust it as tight with it being a solid nose bar.I also soaked the new chain in oil for a day prior to fitting.Also tried different adjustments from leaving it a bit slack to adjusting so the drive links wont pull clear from bar.If i adjust to tight its even harder to pull round by hand.Ive tried everything that ive read about and dont no what else to do apart from another bar.

Hi thanks for the replies.Its a modified stihl bar and chain on a sachs dolmar 123 but its a solid nose bar.Ive had the adjuster off and its ok and when adjusting i hold the bar up then tighten nuts and check again.Ive checked for play in bearing and its ok .ive renewed the drum and sprocket as well.Ive been told not to adjust it as tight with it being a solid nose bar.I also soaked the new chain in oil for a day prior to fitting.Also tried different adjustments from leaving it a bit slack to adjusting so the drive links wont pull clear from bar.If i adjust to tight its even harder to pull round by hand.Ive tried everything that ive read about and dont no what else to do apart from another bar.

Not a big fan of hard nose bars . I think they do need to be tight . Your oiler wants to be turned up to max ...Check it working ! that will cause the chain to go slack pretty quick . If your oiler is working and your drive sprocket is in good order and you still have the problem then try a sprocket nose bar .