Permission needed for highway trees?

YoGi_93

A previous customer has asked me to take 3m out of the top of 3 alders on the frontage of her property...they are between the pavement and the road so are definitely on council property. I presume I will need to get permission to work on the trees even though there's no tags or anything and not a conservation area?

Cheers

Sam :)

A previous customer has asked me to take 3m out of the top of 3 alders on the frontage of her property...they are between the pavement and the road so are definitely on council property. I presume I will need to get permission to work on the trees even though there's no tags or anything and not a conservation area?

Cheers

Sam :)

They,re also unlikely to cut 10ft off the top, even if you ask nicely.

Edited by Gary Prentice
fat fingers

Right okay thanks for the info guys. Just to clear it up I have absolutely no intention of working on them without permission, I wouldn't take the risk if anything. She had the council out last year aparently and they only dead wooded them. I was very sceptical about the work and made that clear to her but thought I may aswell ask the question

As others have said, council are unlikely to grant you permission to cut their trees at the behest of a third party. And more likely to prosecute you for damaging their trees if any work is done without permission.

If your customer is determined to have further work done to these trees, she could try contacting the council TO directly herself and offer to pay to have the trees reduced. Council are very unlikely to agree, but at least she'll know that the advice you gave her and the reason you could'nt do it the job yourself was for legitimate reasons.

She will also then be at the pointy end of "the finger of suspicion" should she decide to ignore your advice and get some member of of the travelling community or other person of lesser morals to do the job for her.

If your customer is determined to have further work done to these trees, she could try contacting the council TO directly herself and offer to pay to have the trees reduced. Council are very unlikely to agree, but at least she'll know that the advice you gave her and the reason you could'nt do it the job yourself was for legitimate reasons.

Good advise I will do exactly that Cheers :)

Why would a council as a tree owner be any different to any other neighbor? Just remember they belong to the council, just like any other neighbor would you climb a fence in to a next door garden?

Also dont forget the foot way and grass verge and carriage way is all public highway so NRSWA rules apply cones singes tickets permissions and notifications etc.

so just tip the council TO the wink and walk away....