Any arbtalking veg growers in da house?

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres my plot starting to take shape now weather is keeping dry.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Bloody hell! Thats not a plot, thats a chuffin field is that, you even need a bloomin tractor to turn it over. Bigger does'nt mean better you know. :001_tt2::biggrin:

Whadda ya hope to sow, and do you plan to feed the world?:biggrin:

Bloody hell! Thats not a plot, thats a chuffin field is that, you even need a bloomin tractor to turn it over. Bigger does'nt mean better you know. :001_tt2::biggrin:

Whadda ya hope to sow, and do you plan to feed the world?:biggrin:

It's all part of my master plan! It will be divided into at least 3 plots and will rotate each plot so wen get goin a plot will have a two year break and will be sown with green manure that's the idea anyway. This will be the only time be ploughed will try to dig each indivual plot. Planning on potatoes, onions, carrots, beet root, cabbage, sprouts etc. it's all rotavated now meant to take another pic but didn't get chance.

Hello mdt

Your soil looks quite heavy, perhaps some horse manure may help break it down a bit - nice compact tractor btw, Iseki?

Good luck with your plot, it looks very good size!

N

Edited by NFG

It's all part of my master plan! It will be divided into at least 3 plots and will rotate each plot so wen get goin a plot will have a two year break and will be sown with green manure that's the idea anyway. This will be the only time be ploughed will try to dig each indivual plot. Planning on potatoes, onions, carrots, beet root, cabbage, sprouts etc. it's all rotavated now meant to take another pic but didn't get chance.

No engine or steering wheel on a spade, are you sure you know how to use one.:001_tt2: I'd go no dig if it was me. I reckon the fencing contractor will need to drive all over that plot to get the rabbit fence up.:thumbup:

Hello mdt

Your soil looks quite heavy, perhaps some horse manure may help break it down a bit - nice compact tractor btw, Iseki?

Good luck with your plot, it looks very good size!

N

Hi nfg, the soil has broken down really well after rotavating it's like a black peaty soil and hasn't grown owt but rubbish for years as it use to be an outdoor pen for young game. Aye the compact is an iseki borrowed it from my mum an dads, quite a good little bit of kit. Will take pics of it worked wen get opportunity.

No engine or steering wheel on a spade, are you sure you know how to use one.:001_tt2: I'd go no dig if it was me. I reckon the fencing contractor will need to drive all over that plot to get the rabbit fence up.:thumbup:

Goaty I may be a leather arser but will assure you I use a shovel and brush more than you think, I know it might take some believing but yes! Would you expand on the no dig please?? You mean min till in farming lingo? Ain't a fan of rotavating think a power harrow would be a good bit of kit, rotavating is a massive pan causer where as pharrow will work and level far superior to a rotavator. As for for fencing it won't be done this year now it's too late, he had his chance. my pest control will consist of 12 bore and electric rabbit fencing, maybe rodenator too.

Goaty I may be a leather arser but will assure you I use a shovel and brush more than you think, I know it might take some believing but yes! Would you expand on the no dig please?? You mean min till in farming lingo? Ain't a fan of rotavating think a power harrow would be a good bit of kit, rotavating is a massive pan causer where as pharrow will work and level far superior to a rotavator. As for for fencing it won't be done this year now it's too late, he had his chance. my pest control will consist of 12 bore and electric rabbit fencing, maybe rodenator too.

No dig is diferent to no till, which is a specific agri term which uses traditional machinery to plant through a green mulch that has been terminated.

The idea is (with no dig) garden style or small homesteads/holdings is to build the soil ecology and to leave it undisturbed whilst planting through a mulch often with cardboard for an intermediate soil contact layer.

It has proven very effective, shall dig out some links (pun intended!):lol: