Bigger Saw?

NFG

For the quantities you are doing I would not go to big on the saw. I have a 346 XP with 15" and 18" our other saw is an MS 460 with a 25" bar. From what you describe I would use the 346 with a sharp 18" bar. OK the 346 has been replaced so I would look at other saws of that size. I tried the 460 yesterday for some logging of firewood and yes it's gutsy good saw but it's seriously thirsty and heavy compared with the smaller 346 and not that much quicker. If only doing 10-12m3 a year I can't see a big saw earning it's keep, our isn't on 100m3 a year.

husky 576xp autotune have no problem with any f that work with a 24" bar cracking saw

i agree with the 576xp. cracking saw with the 24 inch bar on it, a stonking saw with the 18inch bar on it. :thumbup: the 460 is a reliable sa too,

576XP is probably as big as you want to go. I was ringing up 24" and 30" elm yesterday with an 18" bar fitted and it just eats its way through it. It's an animal of a saw.

I've a 26" bar for it which is rarely used, but it pulls that through hardwood with no issues.

Other saw makes are available :001_tt2:

576XP is probably as big as you want to go. I was ringing up 24" and 30" elm yesterday with an 18" bar fitted and it just eats its way through it. It's an animal of a saw.

I've a 26" bar for it which is rarely used, but it pulls that through hardwood with no issues.

Other saw makes are available :001_tt2:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hello all,

Thank you for all the replies so far, I appreciate your postings & although it may not get a huge amount of work a larger saw, 460 or 572 or similar will be very useful for bigger wood, reliability is important so Id rather have a larger saw and not use it to its limit.

As we live near the Mervent forest at worst, it will have some kudos with our neighbours who seem to have collections of them!

N

Edited by NFG

My recommendation would be for a Husqvarna 560XP. The MS460 is indeed a very good saw, but I think that it is overkill for what you need. Especially given that you have been managing with an MS250 up to now. I started out with a 250 (which fell to pieces very quickly indeed) and progressed to a 260. After that I went down the Husky route and via a 346XP (lovely saw) I'm not on a 550XP (an even lovelier saw).

In real terms, the 550XP is going to cut at least twice as quickly as the MS250. However, given that you are going to be cutting larger timber than I routinely tackle with my 550XP, go for the 560XP on an 18-20 inch bar.

Another reason for it is that it's a much newer generation saw, producing far fewer fumes, using less fuel and with far less vibration.