Efco / AMA / Chinese saws

Brownlie1985

I acquired one of these 52cc beasts, one thing I noticed that on near full tilt, the chain brake didn't stop the chain dead-something that does happen on the vast majority of Husqvarnas and Stihls etc that I have serviced/used.

The construction of the chain brake and cover was pretty crap to be honest and I have seen many saws including some of the B&Q/Ryobi/Homelite saws and this one was....well crap:001_rolleyes:

The starter pulley was.......crap - no other word for it, the guide came out of the recoil cover so the rope wore a slot in the cover and also the pulley started to crack.

TBH, faced with one of these or an old Husky Rancher, I know what I would choose every time! both would cost around the same money but the Rancher would still be worth £100 in 5 years time:thumbup:

Just my first hand opinion from someone with 30 years engineering experience and a few years chainsaw maintenance under my belt!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I acquired one of these 52cc beasts, one thing I noticed that on near full tilt, the chain brake didn't stop the chain dead-something that does happen on the vast majority of Husqvarnas and Stihls etc that I have serviced/used.

The construction of the chain brake and cover was pretty crap to be honest and I have seen many saws including some of the B&Q/Ryobi/Homelite saws and this one was....well crap:001_rolleyes:

The starter pulley was.......crap - no other word for it, the guide came out of the recoil cover so the rope wore a slot in the cover and also the pulley started to crack.

TBH, faced with one of these or an old Husky Rancher, I know what I would choose every time! both would cost around the same money but the Rancher would still be worth £100 in 5 years time:thumbup:

Just my first hand opinion from someone with 30 years engineering experience and a few years chainsaw maintenance under my belt!

I hear what you are saying. Ill let you know when I break it !

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Well today I'm knackered.

Been thinning out orchard at parents farm where some pine and beech trees were choking the fruit trees.

Was only about 12 trees to remove. Biggest being 16" dia.

Put about 8 tanks through the "gs2500" top handle. did fair bit on spikes.

Also put about 7 tanks through the "gs5200" saw seems to be holding up okay. I tested the chain brake and it works at full tilt.

Had the old man out as well using his stihl 009.! (bought in 1985!)

Plenty logs to split now!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Popped in to my local Stihl dealer and workshop today and found these on his bench. They'd been dropped off by a guy from the prison service. Apparently the Prison service buys them from places like trademe. They needed tuning apparently but the tuning screws are for show only. Fuel and oil caps leak, chainbrake is flimsy as a wilted lettuce leaf. In fact, the whole thing was a bag of dogs doings. The Stihl guy had tried to talk them out of buying this rubbish but they seem to think they're getting a great deal.

5976639a9d083_2013-02-18001005.jpg.74c898ff5e57d190435fda119781e7a1.jpg

5976639a9b5c0_2013-02-18001004.jpg.c027fc401e24e311696acb993896c73d.jpg

5976639a99a60_2013-02-18001003.jpg.be48155f2699974f0dfe49acda679636.jpg

5976639a97e72_2013-02-18001002.jpg.9028ad29e6681b546c6d53c9d400b57c.jpg

5976639a93912_2013-02-18001001.jpg.e91cbc73fc33c7360e1b09b503f9010b.jpg

one thing most off your guys are forgetting here one is the major price difference you can get these Chinese saws for cheap my friend got a mcdillen 52cc of ebay with a 18inch bar and chain and a 22inch bar and chain for 75 pounds he asked me to fell a tree for him while i was there i didn't have a saw with me he brought this saw out and brand new in its box put it together with the 22 bar and chain which i know is to big for a 52 cc saw but the tree to be felled was 36 inch across got the saw started up got the tree over in about 15 minutes then cut it up into 8 inch slivers was at it for 7 hours used about 14 tanks of fuel i told him that the saw earned its keep by just getting the tree over and done a grand job all day yes there are a bit flimsy and not as strong as a husky stihl or echo but you got to look these brand cost around £450 so you cant moan that the Chinese saw is not as well built when you 6 chinese saws to a good brand so there is going to be a big difference in build quality just think about if the chinese made a saw costing 250 pound for a 52 cc saw what it would be like