Working Away! - Is It Feasible?

MrArb

Im still unsure of wages down south. up here i charge between £120 & £150... so i would need that and a bit more to cover mainly the diesel. Is it feasible? do people pay that for a top climber down there.

Oh and the ppl trying to put me off finding work around London....!! Im an adult. Ill make my own choices thanks.

If you are doing ok on a few days local work and making good money for those days worked i'd say just stick at it, its easy to fall into the assumption that you should be working 40 50 hrs a week and earning loads of money, in reality the Arb market is awash with people with chainsaws and tickets, my advice don't be a busy fool, if you are good people will find you, and the more you earn the more you pay in tax, subbing like you are looking to do could generate a lot of income and you may end up with very little to put against it. Take it easy, maximize your time off ground by charging as much money as you can and enjoy your down time, life's too short.

I worked away from home (not in your trade) mainly around London for many years that's how I ended up living were I do today.

There is money in working away if you do it right. There in lies the catch!

I saved money by living in a caravan and finding farms, campsites that I could stay on for a few quid a night. If you are going to be paying for digs out of the money that has been mentioned above i would sit tight at home if I was you.

we work all over as a two man team! im in northampton and sometimes work down in portsmouth,surrey,central and south london,wiltshire so all over really, if you want that extra money your gonna have to pay for it lol , we tend not to stay over as its eithier 1 or 2 days, but they are late days,and you couldnt do it all the time ! for a climber down there if you can get 150 a day your doin alright,i like to think if the moneys on the job !the climbers worth a bit more! 200 is more like it!

Nothing ventured nothing gained you have more to gain than loose. If you do a day and break even you have learnt to try a different tack. I dont work on trees but moving around making new contacts never hurts as they say sometimes its not what you know but who you know.