FdSc

mcleish17

I am in my last year of doing A levels and wanting to do a foundation degree in Arb. I have been to a few uni interviews and most of the applicants are progressing from level 3 in arb. My main concern is that the people progressing from level 3 will know a lot more and I will struggle to catch up.

I have got a lot of work experience in the industry and I am very keen to learn more.

My question is, has anyone gone from A levels on to the foundation degree on arb?

If so, was the transition managable?

Thanks

I went straight into a FdSc (online) with no arb quals (education wise, I had the practical tickets) and was accepted onto the course after doing an assignment that was set for me too test my knowledge

I failed my a levels many moons ago but have had no trouble on the course as I've put the effort in and should be on for a distinction.

So as long as your prepared to read a lot and put the work in you shouldn't have a problem.

It's like anything in life you only get out what you put in:thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy S2

• 3 months later...

The first year has modules such as 'essential plant science' and 'essential soil science' which will help lay the foundations for the other modules.

Familiarity with the subject through an ND or biology a-level certainly helps, but is by no means a requirement!

Best of luck

Don't let that put you off, I'm coming to the end of the on-campus FdSc course (final exam on Thurs WOOO!) A lot of the students had no previous arb qualifications. Of course it is an advantage, but not essential. Get stuck in, the course is as easy as you make it...the harder you work, the easier it is, if you know what I mean.

I would recommend getting stuck into an ident book before the course (the latest Collins one is best imo), and maybe the AA Arborist's Fungi Field Fuide. Also an all-rounder arb book - the following might be a good option for starters (Trees: Their Use, Management, Cultivation and Biology - A Comprehensive Guide

B Watson) - just to get a grounding of course, it will give you a little more confidence and you'll come to the class feeling more willing to contribute.

If you're serious about getting into the industry then this course is a great option. Just make sure you get as much as you can out of the practical training (i.e. leave with as many of the practical NPTC/City and Guilds certificates as you can) and get as much experience as you can. As this is essentially what makes you employable for practical jobs.

Best of luck.

• 4 months later...