blackthorn Gloves

elwapo

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

knackered a pair of welding gloves in 3 day on the thorn hedge im laying at the moment while waiting for my Ripeur 2 gloves to turn up after rover speaking so highly about them .

been using them for nearly a week now very nice gloves they seem well worth the money and allot more thorn proof than welding gloves or any others ive used be even better if they had a slightly longer cuff but got two pairs so going to try extend the cuffs a little with cuffs off old welding gloves to give more wrist protection . so thanks rover for recomending then

hi get a pair of chainsaw arm gauntlets. stop everything if gloves short. saw them in action on the IOW idela when a bit warm and you do not want to wear a jacket

good old hedging mitts, had mine years & never had a thorn but they are hard and need working to get them supple. An old farmer said to soak them in olive oil from new so done that, they were still stiff for a while but great for the last 20 years (not used all the time but there when needed)

it looks as if i will have to buy a pair of these gloves rover says are good. just have to look after them. just saying using a pair of rigger gloves i bought from tool station for £4 working well only had them a short time and are starting to break down so may need to buy better gloves so rover will buy a pair of hes super gloves and let you know. if i get a thorn in hand do i send the letter from bodger and scarper no fee no win firm to you:laugh1:

Just done a quick search and found a "real" pair of hedging mitts, similar to mine but my stitching is neater & mine are pigskin from what I remember. They will last a life time, you can use a bill hook with them but forget trying to use a chain saw they are just too thick.

Hedging Mitt | Bradleys Leather Tannery | Buy Online

you would probably find them in farmers store/market but look around

• 8 years later...

Struggled with welding gloves: berberis spikes and blackthorn would get through them too easily.

Ended up with Ripeur 2 gloves and a pair of Bradleys leather arm protectors underneath:

https://www.bradleysthetannery.co.uk/collections/gloves/products/heritage-leather-arm-protectors

It was an expensive set up but its been worth it!