Country file, about biomass

Pat Ferrett

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No,agreed, but surely you need less coal compared to bio mass to produce the same energy

Coal holds more energy per volume so less truck/train/shipping volume. As for the earlier comment about doing maths, yes probably to achieve "Set targets" for financial gain. Not for true long term sustainable use.

Can anybody give answers to the following please ?

(1) does the chip have to be a certain size.

(2) does it need to be fresh or can it be stored outside over a few months to allow the quantity to build up.

(3) does the distance from the power station effect the price.

(4) what on average does it fetch a ton.

You doing a degree course thesis or something Pat?

I have discussed this briefly with a waste consultant.

What i remember

1. Yes within parameters

2. Predried

3. Price delivered is what counts, hence cross atlantic feasability

4. Nearly £100 last I knew but judging by the firewood prices of cordwood its increasing so they meet targets.

Once the grant funding of any sort is mentioned, forget about anything being feasible. Once tax payer funds are used it is time to stick a fork in it:sneaky2:

easy-lift guy

mate mine has just installed 3 smallish biomas burners... cost of chip compared to oil is lot lot less than half and he gets the rhi grant.... £10000 so far in only few months.... now they have advised him to put another boiler in to heat the floor that the chips are stored on to dry them... burning chip and getting paid for it to dry more chip to get paid to burn...

these boilers are £250000 each mind you!!

You doing a degree course thesis or something Pat?

I have discussed this briefly with a waste consultant.

What i remember

1. Yes within parameters

2. Predried

3. Price delivered is what counts, hence cross atlantic feasability

4. Nearly £100 last I knew but judging by the firewood prices of cordwood its increasing so they meet targets.

Hi Goaty I was trying to do the sums to see if it was worth stacking the chip up in a mates yard and going halfs with him if he loaded it on the trucks.

I should have explained better :blushing:

Coal holds more energy per volume so less truck/train/shipping volume. As for the earlier comment about doing maths, yes probably to achieve "Set targets" for financial gain. Not for true long term sustainable use.

Someone must of done the maths at sometime to justify what there saying about greener.

Once the grant funding of any sort is mentioned, forget about anything being feasible. Once tax payer funds are used it is time to stick a fork in it:sneaky2:

easy-lift guy

these three just about sum it up, and anyone who believes a word of it all being sustainable needs to have a good hard look at the underlying systems that govern these matters.

Your food

Your fuel

Your money

I didnt think my generation would see these things coming to a head, but with 80 million added to global populations annually, and with Multi trillion pound corps step by step taking control of all resources via various means we may well see some pretty drastic changes even in our lifetimes.

and dont think its all because the population is burgeoning, technology is widely suppressed, technology that could end oil, and also the pesticides business, and the GM business, they wont go quietly!