Agricultural land rent. How much per acre?

timberbear

You do if you were allocated entitlements back in 2005! Failing that, you can BUY entitlements at a cost of more than the first years SFP! I dont understand how this system is fair! How can someone who was farming in 2005 be granted subsidy entitlement, then trade it for profit?!

Crazy world we live in!

You might be able to apply for entitlements as a new entrant. Im so out of date now because I havent dealt with it for a while, but if you want a bit of light reading then get the guidance notes and spend a few evenings!

How can someone who was farming in 2005 be granted subsidy entitlement, then trade it for profit?!

Their entitlement was based on their farming activity from previous years, so if there was little activity they got little entitlement, basically hard working farmers were subsidised to keep working hard( although this did not always happen, I.e slipper farmers) so I guess when their entitlement is sold on they pass that annual payment onto the purchaser. It's a complicated business, I'm not sure we' ll ever fully understand it!!!

Edited by Mull

You do if you were allocated entitlements back in 2005! Failing that, you can BUY entitlements at a cost of more than the first years SFP! I dont understand how this system is fair! How can someone who was farming in 2005 be granted subsidy entitlement, then trade it for profit?!

Crazy world we live in!

Not necessarily. We spent hours doing the paperwork back in 2005 and on our 15 acre farm received the princely sum of £102. The following year we where late in filing our application and was told that we have now lost all rights to the entitlement. Quite frankly even if we could get it I would not bother with it as if you apply the strict rules of cross compliance we would not be able to farm. Certainly maintaining 400 mtrs of dry stone walls for £102 is a total joke.

Around here your lucky to get £100 rent per acre on a 10 month contract.

on average over the last 3yrs for local tenders for council grazing near us averaged at £100>£300 per acre.

The only problem with councils is that they ask you for price, raise an eyebrow, say it too low and put it to open tender.

You could play a good hand here, and offer it out to a fair tender and submit your price.

I have done this on number of occasions, for different types of premises and land, once upon a time I got the rent down to 1/3 from the councils perceived value.

Thanks for all your responses, it's a three year tender. Its previously been used for winter wheat, I'm thinking of putting in a price then allowing a local farmer to lift a crop off whether I put it back to meadow or look at an arable crop. I'm just after the land because its local and I can do a little extra for our local wildlife.

Thanks for all your responses, it's a three year tender. Its previously been used for winter wheat, I'm thinking of putting in a price then allowing a local farmer to lift a crop off whether I put it back to meadow or look at an arable crop. I'm just after the land because its local and I can do a little extra for our local wildlife.

The last of land tenders near got over tendered by some people :blushing:

The foolish council took them on, they never paid the rent.

I hope that whoever your dealing with has some scruples.