A few inches of snow...

Lee Winger

I see your point Lee but I am not sure what everybody is supposed to do on days like this. I think in the good old days people coped better because they didn't have to travel so far for work or school - communities were more compact and proper 'local' shops and trades survived well.

Now that people commute further and we have these conditions much less often, we are far less adaptable than we were.

I am at home today as I was due to do a survey in the cotswolds which I understand is pretty white. Bristol hardly has any snow but I haven't got another job for today up my sleeve unfortunately!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe if they got on Shanks Pony they could walk to school, and save the NHS a few quid at the same time....

Very true. I remember during the fuel blockade of 200? (was it 2000 or 2001?) we were workign outside a primary school that is usually packed with 4x4's at 9am. All the kids were walking in wit their mums who were all chatting to each other and having a great time. It was summer but still it was good to see them walking/talking.

As soon as the fuel was available again it was back to cars, wiindows closed, ignoring the outside world!

In that snow of 1981, I made a snow hole in a drift and slept in it! It was great. I had an old army down sleeping bag, and some old carpet to lie on. Perfect!

Nowadays its all goretex and fleece and thats just for going to the pub!

I spent three months in Alaska, one night of camping at -25c and soon realised your better off in snow holes than in a tent!

Me and my brother both got a good hiding that year! mum caught us walking on the 10' deep village pond..

I've just reversed up my drive in the defender (with the worlds knobbliest tyres) got halfway up when it decided it had had enough and slid all the way back down, out into the road and missed a passing car by 1/4 inch.

The bloke looked really pee'd at me, he had stopped and was going to get out to have a word, but rightly decided against it.

Maybe before I tried to reverse up the drive I should have carried out a risk assessment and put provisions in place to reduce the risk, got in some traffic signs, lights and cones

Been out gritting the dodgy corners on the quad, then called in to see some of the older folk in the village to see if they need anything from the shops, left a number if they have any problems etc. Its a little bit isolated out here, so the gritters tend to do this village last of all. Now off to polish me halo:saint: