A few inches of snow...

Lee Winger

I'm ashamed to call myself a Brit, 2 inches of snow and the world stops, schools closed, idiots are having car accidents, airports are shut, the capital is at a standstill, barely a bloody covering and my kids have to mis school....i'm disgusted what kind of example are we giving our children, the give up mentality thats what!

I'm old enough just , to remember proper winters, the type of snowfall we had in the 70's and 80's, 1979,1980, 1987, and 1991 in particular, back then the schools didn't shut , the buses chugged along the country lanes, past snow drifts 10' high, life carried on, if we ever have a winter like 1963 I hate to imagine the results.........

We've become a right load of pansy's IMO, no wonder the country is in the state it's in! rant over...:001_tt1:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its ironic that we as a nation are getting penalised and accused of owning too many 4x4's and yet we can't drive in snow!

Most roads around primary schools at leaving time are chock full of yummy mummies in big 4x4's. If they did a bit of car sharing, less cars on the road it would be fine. I guess its the impoverished teachers that would struggle to get in, not the kids, and so thats why they close.

Airports are the biggest joke. There is machinery available to clear snow, even if it sat in a hangar for ten years it would be worth having it.

Having said all that, I'm not working in this weather! I've done it enough in the past for 100quid a week, don't feel I need to know. If I was really busy at the moment I could find an easy job to do instead. I'm still going out for a walk though, my subaru might be useful!

Its ironic that we as a nation are getting penalised and accused of owning too many 4x4's and yet we can't drive in snow!

Most roads around primary schools at leaving time are chock full of yummy mummies in big 4x4's. If they did a bit of car sharing, less cars on the road it would be fine. I guess its the impoverished teachers that would struggle to get in, not the kids, and so thats why they close.

Maybe if they got on Shanks Pony they could walk to school, and save the NHS a few quid at the same time....

In that snow of 1981, I made a snow hole in a drift and slept in it! It was great. I had an old army down sleeping bag, and some old carpet to lie on. Perfect!

Nowadays its all goretex and fleece and thats just for going to the pub!

I spent three months in Alaska, one night of camping at -25c and soon realised your better off in snow holes than in a tent!

I took the day off today..judging from the news yesterday, it was looking like the next ice age was about to start. It's battling my way past the crashed Audis and BMWs i didn't fancy. Only about 1" this morning, of course..

..having said that, visibility outside has just dropped to about 20 yds here.