Tipis tents anybody ?

Pat Ferrett

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a 24ft yurt with a very high roof, was built especially for doing acrobatics in in its first career.

I can put it up on my own, no help at all in about 2 1/2 hours. With good help it's a bit quicker, with average help about the same time and with clueless but enthusiastic help it stays down until they've left...

I used to move it in and on a Peugeot 306, including the full size stable door etc.

Cost £2.5K when I bought it.

I also have a little 12ft one which is a delight for camping in (me, wife, two kids (5 years old) and two dogs).

this is turning into an awesome thread pat! Ive actualy considered living in a yurt, woodland is cheap in Europe could rent the house and go off to mke charcoal baskets and other stuff and come back for a bit of hibernation in the winter!

One of my customers tours europe in a camper with his wife, and only returns to his house if its a warm summer.

He recons he's cracked it and I thinks he's right :001_cool:

I have a 24ft yurt with a very high roof, was built especially for doing acrobatics in in its first career.

I can put it up on my own, no help at all in about 2 1/2 hours. With good help it's a bit quicker, with average help about the same time and with clueless but enthusiastic help it stays down until they've left...

I used to move it in and on a Peugeot 306, including the full size stable door etc.

Cost £2.5K when I bought it.

I also have a little 12ft one which is a delight for camping in (me, wife, two kids (5 years old) and two dogs).

Any chance of a few pictures please Rover ?

Hello mate

I've been after a tipi tent for ages but been put off by the price.

We recently bought one of these:

Bergans Lavvo S - 4/6 Person Tipi Tent, Tents

and one of these:

Portable Log & Wood Burner - Frontier Stove

Only camped in it over xmas to give it a try and unfortunately didn't get a chance to use the stove but for the money we were both really impressed.

Light enough to carry on the bike but big enough to stand up in - For kids as well I'd say go for the 6-8 person to give extra space around the wood burner.

I need to play with sorting the chimney flue but from searching on line it should be pretty easy

HTH

Seen a really nice geodesiec dome locally, made from peeled sweet chesnut & blue water pipe.

Seemed easier than a yurt to make the structure?

Not sure about how the covering was shaped etc though.

The canvas of a geodesic dome is quite complicated if you want it to be tight and fit snug, the more common way to cover them is just to use lengths of canvas,start at the bottom and continue up leaving a good overlap, ive seen massive domes covered in this way. Fleece or blankets can be laid over the frame first for insulation, then the canvas is simply tied to frame. The beauty of yurts and domes in my mind is the pure beauty of the frame, and secondly the fact that there totally self supporting, so can be erected on any flattish ground. A dome is a truly achievable self build tent and as such can be done very cheaply. They can even be covered with a large plastic type flysheet. When we build them we dont even peel the poles, just point the ends to fit the water pipe snugly and ensure any side branch stumps are flat to pole to avoid damaging canvas.

Heres a picture of the tents we have permanently erected where i live, sometimes we have others two but these stay up most of the time. 1 6m tipi, 1 5m yurt and 1 large and 1 small canvas cabin.

James

tente.jpg.dd8c288202f9e5f0083e11f7067dd8b8.jpg