What to do with offcuts?

Woodworks

As per the title really. I have lots of offcuts of various species from 1' - 3' long that I never find jobs for but hate to throw away. Maybe I would be better posting this on the firewood section :biggrin:

I am always looking for offcuts 1-3ft long to process into kindling. 11" is a waste of time but over that upto 20ft is ideal. Bigger the better.

Thanks all for the ideas.

delabodge

Your suggestions on your other thread are closest to what I had in mind. The things you have made are very nice but the wood I have is not as beautiful as the stuff you have used. Basically I have a lot of pieces of French and American oak most are 1" without many interesting features. I did wonder about gluing a stack together and having a go at making a wine rack on the same lines as the one you posted but not sure about the time involved in gluing it all together will make it worthwhile.

Thanks all for the ideas.

delabodge

Your suggestions on your other thread are closest to what I had in mind. The things you have made are very nice but the wood I have is not as beautiful as the stuff you have used. Basically I have a lot of pieces of French and American oak most are 1" without many interesting features. I did wonder about gluing a stack together and having a go at making a wine rack on the same lines as the one you posted but not sure about the time involved in gluing it all together will make it worthwhile.

hi mate,,those bits you have sound perfect for making bird boxes /bug boxes etc,,,i`m currently making a batch from some second hand oak floring, and to be honest its a little too good for it, might make up some blanket boxs, as now it prepared, its about 18mm..but afraid it might be too soild and heavy,,,:thumbup:

Ha ha delabodge great minds think alike. I was standing in the workshop on Friday pondering the pile of bits of oak and then it struck me fancy BIRD BOXES. I am not sure American white oak lasts like European outside but it cant be too bad. The only other thought I have had for some of the other stuff is random wood coffee tables. Have you tried gluing up different species to make interesting table tops or do you think it would just look like a school project? :001_smile: