110 defender conversion

Drayton tree care

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

We have a 130 and I wouldnt consider a 110 -others may differ of course. We have ours built with a full height toolbox behind the cab and a 7' tipper body behind that. For us it is only just big enough, although we use our Unimog for larger jobs. You can get loads in it but its easy to overload the rear axle. We have air springs and a compressor to get the ride height back up when its fully loaded. This has transformed the vehicle as its very wallowy fully loaded without.

In standard form, the 130 has a stronger chassis than a 110, rated at 3500kg GVW as apposed to 110's 3000kg although the 110 can be uprated. This may affect towing weights if you do not have a B+E license.

Price wise, we found it much easier to get a 130 already converted. There are not too many 130's around and these tend to get snapped up by conversion people. I started to ask around recently about conversion as we are looking at getting another one. Prices seem to range from 3k to 8k depending on what you want.

Hope this helps, it turned into a bit of a ramble I'm afraid. Pleas ask if you have any more questions.

Cheers

Jules

I just had my older (G reg) 110 converted before Christmas - I don't do a lot of big jobs at the moment, and know a few people with transits or similar I can call when I need more capacity.

I paid 1900 for the Landy a couple of years ago (200tdi standard pickup) and paid 1500 for the conversion including the body, which I found on eBay from an ex army land rover.

It made sense for me to do it this way, as by the time I got to needing a tipper I'd had the truck for a couple of years and knew what was good and not!

Usually getting one already converted is the cheaper way around, but you dont get it exactly how you want it, thats the bit that costs but take into consideration how long you will keep it to see if building to your spec is justified.

As for 110 vs 130, depends on how likely you are to getting pulled and put on a weigh bridge. The 110 will legally carry more with the same spec. If you get a 130 double cab, or a single with a toolbox behind the cab, you will overload the rear axle with about 400kg in the back.

Nene overland is not far from you, you can pop in and ask Andrew Harrison-smith himself. Be prepared for a shock though, so many people are converting them now it's difficult to get a sensibly priced one, secondhand ones tend to be well used!!!

My biggest issue is volume of chip rather than weight so I looked for a 130, single cab and have the tools on the back. The add ons are the perks, winch on the front and how about a towable hydraulic splitter run off your PTO.

What stopped me was 20mpg towing a chipper and load, if your lucky, the starting price and other running costs.

EG: R reg 110 with heavy duty 3500 chassis, 90K on the clock, flat bed pick up perfect for conversion... £8500 no vat.... Before conversion!

What sort of transit would that get? You've got to really want one or have enough off road work to warrant it.

Edited by Bing!
spelling