What do NPTC certificates allow you to do?

haforbes

Hello, A curiosity question. I was just wondering what it allows you to do once you have NPTC qualifications (or LANTRA), I.e. If you've just passed Cs 38/39 does that mean you can then call yourself a tree surgeon and go out climbing self employed? Even if you don't have any experience in the field? Not that it's what I intend to do, More just curious about the technicalities of the qualifications and also it sometimes seems that "tree surgeon" can be a loosely used term, I know of a couple local gardener/landscaper type guys who also offer tree services even though I know they don't really have a great deal of knowledge on the subject, yet they have certain NPTC qualifications....I hope :confused1: Thanks :001_smile:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You ve opened a can of worms here. I ll be the first to bite. Cs units are certs of competence to use equipment or carry out an activity. I often see "Fully Qualified " on adverts and web pages, and they refer to their NPTC s. when I see Fully qualified I think 'When and where did you get your Phd ?'

In answer to your question Yes you can call yourself a Tree Surgeon. In the same way some who has just passed their driving test is a qualified driver, experience now thats a different matter.

Hello, A curiosity question. I was just wondering what it allows you to do once you have NPTC qualifications (or LANTRA), I.e. If you've just passed Cs 38/39 does that mean you can then call yourself a tree surgeon and go out climbing self employed? Even if you don't have any experience in the field? Not that it's what I intend to do, More just curious about the technicalities of the qualifications and also it sometimes seems that "tree surgeon" can be a loosely used term, I know of a couple local gardener/landscaper type guys who also offer tree services even though I know they don't really have a great deal of knowledge on the subject, yet they have certain NPTC qualifications....I hope :confused1: Thanks :001_smile:

Hmmm, an interesting post.

An analogy for just passing your NPTCs would be your driving test, just passed. Would you jump in your car, fully loaded and drive during all weathers up to Scotland for instance? (Doubtless many will say "YES" done that!) Maybe 'newbies' shoudl ahve a green 'P' sign attached to their harnesses :biggrin:

NPTCs are useful as a basic skill benchmark, ISA / RFS arb knowledge is great, (good) experience (prob. min. 3-5 years) is very important and all 3 combined = the arborist (my take, others may / WILL differ...coz it;s me :lol:).

Take it steady and work safe...with the right people (but sometimes you have to work with the wrong people to judge who are the right people :confused1:)

Cheers..

Paul

NPTC units are a "licence" to drive a chainsaw (or whtever the unit is for)

No other qualifications needed to be a jobbing tree surgeon, its only a tree after all......................

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I wouldn't claim to be a tree surgeon but I'll tackle tree work within the realms of my ability and experience. Much of that has come from practical experience rather than the nptc certs I have.....

NPTC quals are measures of proficiency in practical tasks, they don't have a great deal to do with the science of trees, just the very basic mechanics.

They're a good start, but not the most important thing....

Edited by WorcsWuss

They mean that you can have ins. They mean that you can get forestry work (nptc not lantra, I think. Or it was anyway, not sure now) they mean you can get bigger contracts with large companies I.e building firms.

They in no way mean you are good at the job, just that you have been trained and tested in the proper and safe working practise of the use of a chainsaw and or climbing equipment in trees. Also lowering equipment aswell.

A college qualification means that you are a competent tree surgeon. Or uni. (Could also be that you have been doing it sooooo long that you know everything about trees and the way they act or have to be cut to get the most out of them anyway)

That's the way I see it anyway

You ve opened a can of worms here. I ll be the first to bite. Cs units are certs of competence to use equipment or carry out an activity. I often see "Fully Qualified " on adverts and web pages, and they refer to their NPTC s. when I see Fully qualified I think 'When and where did you get your Phd ?'

In answer to your question Yes you can call yourself a Tree Surgeon. In the same way some who has just passed their driving test is a qualified driver, experience now thats a different matter.

having a PhD wouldn't guarantee someone knew what they were doing either though, ive met a few folk with every piece of paper under the sun and I wouldn't let them loose with a shovel let alone a chainsaw! :lol: