Log splitter blade advice

Monikieman

Hi folks.

I've got an electric Alko vertical log splitter.

Problem is at times the blade seems a bit narrow and I have to wait till it reaches the bottom of the stroke to fully split the piece of wood.

Would it cause any problems for the hydraulics if I got a bit welded on to widen the blade so that it splits the wood earlier in the down stroke?

I've had a look on the 'show me your splitter' thread and there's quite a few with a wider blade but they are much bigger machines.

Cheers

Hi folks.

I've got an electric Alko vertical log splitter.

Problem is at times the blade seems a bit narrow and I have to wait till it reaches the bottom of the stroke to fully split the piece of wood.

Would it cause any problems for the hydraulics if I got a bit welded on to widen the blade so that it splits the wood earlier in the down stroke?

I've had a look on the 'show me your splitter' thread and there's quite a few with a wider blade but they are much bigger machines.

Cheers

i dont think yours would have the power to do that.

Mmmmm. Cheers Skyhuck

I had a look on google images and it reminded me I have the 4 way splitter attachment. It fits over the blade and looks much wider. I never use the 4 way so I could remove the extra blades and give that a go.

All is not lost. Thanks guys.

Can't you put a log/block on the table so the blade won't have to travel so far down.

I've done that but that's not where the problems lies.

The thinner blade doesn't seem to push the 2 halves of the wood apart very quickly. Some of the wood seems to grip and you have to run the blade to the bottom of the log.

I'd say it's about 15mm thick and sharpened.

I thought a thicker blade would push the 2 bits apart quicker.