Sex education

Jason James Gairn

Hey parents out there. My son turned 10 last week, and so I decided it was time to have the traditional Father and son conversation about sex, Yes the birds and the bees. So knowing that my son's questions would take us into uncharted territory, I prepared my self and went down stairs to be confronted by this scene. My wife had taken over the entire operation. I feel a little disempowered I must say, that's a fathers job surely. In all seriousness, when did or do you intend to tell your children about the facts of life in a non `stork' way?

597653ce61863_winter09093copy.jpg.fcd1fec82fdaeaac51d12807c948f446.jpg

597653ce5c81c_winter09094copy.jpg.5fc9915c8b36eb2920b389cb5d013782.jpg

Edited by Jason James Gairn
?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was never told by my parents and frankly I respect them for that. Sex education at school began at age 14 and I didn't want or need it then either. Sex obsessed society - "oh, we must teach our children these important facts, oh yes in case they want to have sex and need to be safe, and, oh..." and so it goes on. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::mad:

I was never told by my parents and frankly I respect them for that. Sex education at school began at age 14 and I didn't want or need it then either. Sex obsessed society - "oh, we must teach our children these important facts, oh yes in case they want to have sex and need to be safe, and, oh..." and so it goes on. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::mad:

Just in case my ten year old wants to have sex? No not the reason at all, I just think somethings bridge the gap between important and interesting. I think at some point it's important to answer questions posed by our children in a more mature way. I'm not suggestiong a ten year old should have a working knowledge of the Karma sutra. But, particularly young men get a very poor education from their pier group and school. When My son asks how to field strip a Glock 17 or wants to know why the sky is blue, then I will show/tell him. Same goes for Drugs, which hasn't come up yet, but when it does I like to think that I will be able to answer all his questions in a rational and factual way. Not because he wants to do drugs, but because it's important to understand them. How old are your children TCD?

I agree that society is sex obsessed though. In a tittilation society, I think solid education is counter to this obsession.

Just in case my ten year old wants to have sex? No not the reason at all, I just think somethings bridge the gap between important and interesting. I think at some point it's important to answer questions posed by our children in a more mature way. I'm not suggestiong a ten year old should have a working knowledge of the Karma sutra. But, particularly young men get a very poor education from their pier group and school. When My son asks how to field strip a Glock 17 or wants to know why the sky is blue, then I will show/tell him. Same goes for Drugs, which hasn't come up yet, but when it does I like to think that I will be able to answer all his questions in a rational and factual way. Not because he wants to do drugs, but because it's important to understand them. How old are your children TCD?

I am with you on this one, my Son came home from school after having his first sex ed class at the age of 9, I must admit I was a little taken aback that it was started so young, but after sitting through a tea where Jack and myself almost choked and spat out our food as we were laughing so much at the homework he had been given and the additional names that we both came up with for the body parts that he had been asked to name. What started off as a taboo, embarrasing subject turned into a relaxed discussion which I hope helped to remove part of the stigma associated with the sex word and your parents.

Since that day nearly 2 years ago there have been questions that Jack has asked me, mainly on the pre-fix of "Billy says that" but I am glad he comes and asks and feels that he can, I am sure I am more embarrassed than he is and that is good, this goes with drugs also as I think that children will go and find out for themselves and if I can be a part of that learning then I will have a chance at guiding him in the right direction.

By the way I love the expression on your lads face! Priceless.