no jobs !!?

jimbob100

Got to agree with Gnarlyoak.

The only reason I went self employed and started out on my own is because the commute and travelling time equaled a minimum wage job due to fuel costs. There's a lot to be said about a steady job and wage not to mention that when you finish a days work that's it untill the next day.

I'd like to see the statistics from colleges on the percentage of students that actually get jobs in the industry I bet they're fairly low!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here you go, there's about 25 companies within 30 miles of Wragby...

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=tree+surgeon&hl=en&sll=53.312827,0.082397&sspn=0.836882,2.705383&gl=uk&hq=tree+surgeon&t=m&z=9

and if they aren't on there try this yell.com search.....

Tree Work in Wragby, Market Rasen | Reviews - Yell

Phone every single company on there and if they don't have anything right now, email them your CV so if something does come up they know where to look.

See, this is the problem. Today's young generation has not been taught to use the initiative or common sense.

The OP is on here asking questions that everyone, including himself , knows the answer to yet it takes a stranger about 30 seconds to supply links to loads of work opportunities.

Two threads ran during the weekend along these lines and it got very heated.

😕

If it's arb work you are after, I think you have answered your own question.

You are at college (ie not yet qualified) and can only work two days (fixed days i presume) a week.

If it's non arb work you are after just to get money - there are plenty of part time / evening jobs.

Also, I would advise downloading a spellchecker add-on for your internet browser.

bit harsh! its not like spelling makes you a good tree surgeon,i know millionaires that cant read or write!!

Got to agree with Gnarlyoak.

The only reason I went self employed and started out on my own is because the commute and travelling time equaled a minimum wage job due to fuel costs. There's a lot to be said about a steady job and wage not to mention that when you finish a days work that's it untill the next day.

I'd like to see the statistics from colleges on the percentage of students that actually get jobs in the industry I bet they're fairly low!

Out of 14 that passed the hnd course onlty myself and another gained full time work as climbers straight from college

There seems to be a grey area with fori (plural for forum?).

They should encourage people to ask for advice without fear of ridicule.

At the same time people seeking advice can help their own cause by doing a bit of groundwork and not expecting to be spoon-fed.

If I am looking for someone to work for me I want someone with a bit of initiative, who will fill up the saws before trudging through the woods, keep the climbers rope free of tangles, never go to the van for something without an armful of brush for the chipper etc. etc.

The questions that pee me off on here are things like...

Has anyone got a perfect chipper for under £2,000? NO

What is the best saw to buy? YOU'LL BUY WHAT YOU WANT ANYWAY

How much can I legally carry in my transit? FIND A WEIGHBRIDGE + MATHS

Are Land-rovers reliable? ONLY IF YOUVE GOT ONE

How much should I be paid? WHAT SOMEONE IS WILLING

How can I expand my business? WORK HARD AND SMART

What secrets that took you 20 years of experience to acquire will you share withme so I can compete with your company? ASK FATHER JACK

The list goes on - and there are stupid questions every day.

I think, however, that us knarly old cynics who can fell a huge oak with a nail file should maybe be seen to be tolerant of these 'wet behind the ears' newcomers and give a bit of polite guidance and not assassinate them (or ignore their post).

I, for one, would be happy to advise someone who has shown some initiative but needs a bit of moral support. If, however, someone wants a 10 point guide on how a fresh-from-college kid can fast-track his way to the top maybe the post should be put in a 'special' forum and be politely ignored.

Rant over grrrrrr grrrrrr

bit harsh! its not like spelling makes you a good tree surgeon,i know millionaires that cant read or write!!

When someone writes to me, I prefer if they can read and write properly.

Years ago when I worked for a company, my foreman instructed me to fell an avenue of Yew trees, saving the Hawthorns that stood between the Yews.

Because his reading skills were so poor we felled all the wrong trees.

2 day job, a lot of trees:thumbdown::blushing: