Oak decay

Dave177

Question

Hopefully I have attached the pictures right today.

Went to look at this in my aunts garden today and not quite sure how to proceed. Its a fair sized Oak, the Crown looks full and well shaped, its lost a major limb off one side previously and the resulting damage has caused dead tissue around the wound.

In the base of the stem are signs of decay in at least 2 locations and a third spreading up a crack to about 6ft in height. There is also a large bulge also around the 6ft mark.

There were some some fungal brackets at the base but they were removed to "kill" the fungus my my uncle :lol:

They want to keep the tree but at the same time dont want to risk damaging their property or the road.

Any ideas what I should tell them to do, I was thinking getting someone in to do a detailed assesment to check the extent of decay in the stem or doesnt it look too bad/is it not work the expense?

Cheers guys

HPIM0038.jpg.4e9e4271b005a6d9536a35b210897f59.jpg

HPIM0039.jpg.88307216f75d22bbd47790baebc514ab.jpg

HPIM0040.jpg.1eb8a128a789e6bfdc55172a9de65b66.jpg

• Answers 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

agree with that one. completely typical of what I have learnt to expect from this decay.

i dont see any BS here, just technically correct information.

K

a pollard is a knee jerk IMO and unnecessary. a reduction to reduce the heavier weight out of the crown to encourage retrenchment and a more optimised tree for its capabilities.

I also agree with robarb, there is a good cahcne of F. hepatica in this tree, with the buckle showing on one side, however, it could also be related to the decay at the base.

Hi Rob

If all you see is "technically correct information", then please, take this opportunity to quantify this line, "having left the most highly fluid active cambium channels".

I have spent quite a number of years studying tree anatomy/biology and it could be that I have missed this or perhaps not got there yet, so if you would explain, maybe I can catch up.

Also, what is a "good cahcne"

Looking forward to your explanation

Jonny

Hi Rob

If all you see is "technically correct information", then please, take this opportunity to quantify this line, "having left the most highly fluid active cambium channels".

I have spent quite a number of years studying tree anatomy/biology and it could be that I have missed this or perhaps not got there yet, so if you would explain, maybe I can catch up.

Jonny

Stop picking on young lads who are trying to be good arbs, or an even bigger more able arb will start picking on your faults.:sneaky2:

Karma is a universal law, and from what ive seen of it your building up quite a debt

Hi Rob

Jonny

To me, highly fluid active cambium channels is fairly self explanatory. Especially when coupled with a picture. I.e. where the larger roots are coupled with the buttresses and there has been concentrated resources in the adaptation and increasing of these supports due to the decreasing residual wall, which are the most active cambium channels. This is how I see it.

'Good cahnce' means good chance. I see no reason to be patronised over a typing error.

To me, highly fluid active cambium channels is fairly self explanatory. Especially when coupled with a picture. I.e. where the larger roots are coupled with the buttresses and there has been concentrated resources in the adaptation and increasing of these supports due to the decreasing residual wall, which are the most active cambium channels. This is how I see it.

'Good cahnce' means good chance. I see no reason to be patronised over a typing error.

Rob

You can not make a silk purse out of a sows ear, that claptrap makes a mockery of education and learning.

Sorry about the cahcne thing, I was being a childisht ****