SRT rope anchoring

Steve Bullman

"Enthusiasts" good word! Nerds is ok, but enthusiast sounds better.

Nerds?!

The thing about SRT is its so easy its laughable, not only that but if your good with a throwline it gets you up big trees to your main abchor point 100 times faster than body thrusting/prussiking/ladders. You also feel less knackered when using SRT cause its all legwork. More tree surgeons should learn it. Especially people who are getting old and decrepit.

I'd like to see Paulo Baveresco's frogging SRT system and set-up, looks more efficient than my basic version.

This guy is using a pretty basic SRT set-up but it does the job just fine -

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6cGBUBVPJxY]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6cGBUBVPJxY[/ame]

Edited by scotspine1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can also 1 Isolate limb with throw line 2 set static access line round limb 3 tie apine butterfly on access line and thread line through and pull line up to snare limb 4 Srt up(one side). 5 leave SRT gear on access line .6 Gear can be retrieved from the ground for next climber or rescue.Seen it done but haven't done it yet would like a new static line left my old one at my old job( Boss bought it).

Old 50 in 15 days!!!

You can also 1 Isolate limb with throw line

Old 50 in 15 days!!!

One of the things i love about setting a srt line is the fact you don't always have to isolate a limb (unlike setting a footlocking line), my throw lining is just o.k so this helps a lot.

Also if you use a gri gri or similar it means you will be able to retrieve the srt gear from the ground anyway, but you also have the added bonus of being able to perform a rescue if the climber injures himself on the way up. And with most SRT system from what i know decending quickly if you hurt yourself is not an option, I use the RADS system so i can ascend and decend which makes doing a little work on the way up a safer option.

Also an SRT system will put double your weight on the anchor point unlike our normal climbing systems or footlocking, thats why i some times like my rope to go through 2 limbs and not isolate one.

Hi,

I am shortly off on a project to Nepal where I will be climbing 30+metre trees for the RSPB. Anyway I have been trained and used both systems and as am from an Arb background have used that system a lot more. I have decided with some practice on using a Arb system for the project but I will be using a long legged friction knot with a jumar and foot loop below it. I have experiment with single and double leg thrusting and double legs thrusting works well but did find myself switching between the two. Am sure everyone understands this method but its basically a case of pushing the jumar up to the friction knot standing up in the jumar and pushing the knot up as far as possible whilst locking off with your right arm (Easier to show than write!). If the pivots have too much friction then I will install retrieval pulley tied off on it self so is secure from above and a slicker pivot. I have practised on a few 20+metre trees on a straight pull and this system works well (Well I did it three times back to back and still felt strong). We are taking SRT equipment with as a few other people on the trip have SRT backgrounds. But yes for BIG trees SRT has got to be the option. Will write a full article when am back from the trip. Cheers Steve ps has anyone had any experience of climbing Simal trees/ Bombax ssp. I think there also called East Indian Silk cotton trees?

only jst seen this thread, all of this talk of locking off gri gri's etc. If you feel like splashing out the petzl ID (or ID'S' for smaller diamiter ropes) is what we use and is what treevolution allmost certainly showed the previous post'ee. It is desiged un-like the gri gri to be failsafe and has a handy stop feature which prevents 'captin panic' from absailing/lowering some1 faster and faster as if you pull to hard on its lever which operates the device it returns to the locked position & you have to return the handle and re-apply gentle, controlled presure. These ground resque systems do mean that a type C or D resque is much quicker to execute, or as rupe said the texbook wasp resque???