Me,myself and I

Deeco

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking silky's advice and staying positive! A couple of days to heal up and I'll be back with a vengeance. No tree to big, no branch to long !

So my question is.. What kit would be good to start me off I was thinking...

* rope ( something compatible with spiderjack or zig-zag incase my rec climbing gets adventurous)

* a couple of prusik loops

* krabs x5?

* we have a decent enough petal harness but my own would'nt do any harm if I can get a good price

* rope/kit bag

* long lanyard that can be used as a second climbing line which would suit the tree's we prune

* cambium saver ( we work on very rough trees so I would say this is essential)

So.... Help ! Can anyone offer suggestions and advice ? I am on a budget but I believe in buying the best and I would rather be skint and safe than rich and falling out a tree !!

Edited by Steve Bullman

Good morning mate...from a freezing Britain! Firstly,never ever compromise your own safety due to how others say you should do something...its YOUR life (or hands) on the line! I have worked with lads from all over the world...some who free climb parts of the tree...take risks...abuse their kit etc...But that has never been for me...i still climb and cut the way i was taught by a very great teacher many years ago...i don't cut corners! I'm alive still:) i use a cambium saver on every tree i climb with standard prusdick system and pulley saver when im Spiderjacking...no friction means i can work smooth and my ropes are kept in tip top condition...they are always dry and dirt and grit free...when i work i make sure i choose a route around the tree so my rope is ALWAYS allingned straight from my anchor to me and i chuck a strop around my work position...im locked and going nowhere...I am SAFE:cool: I buy all my own climbing kit...always have...no one uses it but me and i store it in a kit bag in warm dry place...i take good advice snd learn from people who work safe....others who use old rope and bad practices....I Ignore (and keep well away from) i take pride in my safe attitude...and admire other climbers who are the same...we are called Proffessionals:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Do it the way that makes you feel safe and confident D....NEVER COMPROMISE...Climb safe buddy!

Thanks mate. I'll give you a shout when I'm back will defos be after some shifts it'll be a working holiday from my working holiday if that makes sense. tell slum dog to get me added on Facebook as well please.

Stay safe

Edited by Steve Bullman

Taking silky's advice and staying positive! A couple of days to heal up and I'll be back with a vengeance. No tree to big, no branch to long !

So my question is.. What kit would be good to start me off I was thinking...

* rope ( something compatible with spiderjack or zig-zag incase my rec climbing gets adventurous)

* a couple of prusik loops

* krabs x5?

* we have a decent enough petal harness but my own would'nt do any harm if I can get a good price

* rope/kit bag

* long lanyard that can be used as a second climbing line which would suit the tree's we prune

* cambium saver ( we work on very rough trees so I would say this is essential)

So.... Help ! Can anyone offer suggestions and advice ? I am on a budget but I believe in buying the best and I would rather be skint and safe than rich and falling out a tree !!

If I was starting from scratch now I'd probably settle on:

Multisaver

Hitch climber pulley

Small pulley for strop

2x oval crabs, 4x d crabs

5 or 6m strop rope

35 or 45m rope

Couple of eye to eye cords (1 each for climbing hitch and strop)

Throwline / bag / cube

Rope bag

Kit bag

That'll give you enough gear for a low friction climbing line and lanyard and won't break the bank. Much. :thumbup1:

Edited by Steve Bullman

Thanks worcs! Sounds like solid starting point. Until then I'm unable to work or even wipe my arse with this darn hand so hopefully a speedy recovery then back to start all over again with a positive attitude as always.

Edited by Steve Bullman