which forestry winch ?

I went for an 8.5 ton electro hydraulic Uniforest. Go for the biggest and best you can afford. A remote control makes a good winch a great winch and saves money on labour too. Happy with the winch it has worked hard for 2 years and still going strong. Get a good pulley for redirects.

IMG_0249.jpg.0eb1998daeec6f7f685521fc6a5269a1.jpg

How little could you reasonably expect to pay for a well used manual winch like these? I quite fancy one but don't do full time woodland work, in fact little at all to justify the cost of a good one. When I do though it would be really handy. I'd be happy with one of the old pull on the rope to engage the drive type things that are a good few years old. As it wouldn't get a lot of use one that's approaching the end of it's days wouldn't be a bad buy - I'd probably only give it the hours you chaps do in a month over the next ten years. At the moment I cord stuff up and carry it - I only process wood for myself in places where I can do a couple of days of free maintenance in exchange for the logs.

I suspect that the dearth of second hand winches is probably,

(i) that either they are so shagged out and worth so little they are parked up and ignored "just in case" or

(ii) they are still in use, however infrequently.

That is why I eventually reluctantly bought new, cos I could not find any worth the money second hand.

I do find the electro hydraulic very useful for my boggy in places haul road,

very easy to "drop, drive & drag " once back on the hard.

Cheers

M

I have an ex-display uniforest 65M, 6.5 ton manual winch.

Never used but has been in stock so it s little dusty!

Retail £3100+vat, but selling for £2850+vat inc 2 chains and a slider. PTO shaft and cable included.

Also have an electrohydraulic 6.5 ton double drum, ex display for £10k+vat. Massive saving off retail! This is a hydraulic winch, not chain driven. Optional wireless remote is £900+vat.

PM me if you have interest in either of these.

I have an ex-display uniforest 65M, 6.5 ton manual winch.

Never used but has been in stock so it s little dusty!

Retail £3100+vat, but selling for £2850+vat inc 2 chains and a slider. PTO shaft and cable included.

Also have an electrohydraulic 6.5 ton double drum, ex display for £10k+vat. Massive saving off retail! This is a hydraulic winch, not chain driven. Optional wireless remote is £900+vat.

PM me if you have interest in either of these.

ouch; does the double drum warrant the price? IMO you'd be better off with 9.5ton single for the same coin.

It is quite a high spec winch. You need to have the work for it, but if you do its a very versatile machine.

Each drum is 6.5 ton, so 13 tons with both cables. So better value than a 9.5 ton single drum.

Each drum can be controlled independantly and has its own powered unwinder.