150m neglected hedge -Advice on best tools

wytco0

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a very fast growing woody shrub - useful for filling gaps, the bark and cambium is a reasonable thickness and can be laid, whilst the flowers and fruit have a fairly decent ecological value, and as the wood hollows and rots quick, so does that also. When filling gaps I have used elder by cutting a chunk of stem with roots and dug it into a space

It's a very fast growing woody shrub - useful for filling gaps, the bark and cambium is a reasonable thickness and can be laid, whilst the flowers and fruit have a fairly decent ecological value, and as the wood hollows and rots quick, so does that also. When filling gaps I have used elder by cutting a chunk of stem with roots and dug it into a space

All elder does is shade other hedging plants and in the end takes over. Ive just completed a hedge where it was growing every 1om and had shaded the thorn out . Plus it looks awful in a neatly laid hedge all the farmers i have ever worked for say they want it out and replant with quick.

All elder does is shade other hedging plants and in the end takes over. Ive just completed a hedge where it was growing every 1om and had shaded the thorn out . Plus it looks awful in a neatly laid hedge all the farmers i have ever worked for say they want it out and replant with quick.

Been discussing the elder with the other half, we don't really have that much now and she is very keen on keeping some of it for wildlife reasons. Must admit I do like watching the birds eating the berries.