Veg oil in saws

Tom Richards

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used rapeseed oil, both branded chain oil and cooking oil, for over 15 years and have never cooked a bar tip yet nor noticed advanced chain wear. The only downside, as someone has already mentioned, is the resinous build up of oil and sawdust which occurs round the clutch drum, oil pump, chain brake etc. if this isn't cleaned regularly then it can become corrosive over time. The Stihl bio chain oil is supposed to minimize this to some extent, but I've never tried it.

It's hard to believe that folks are still using mineral chain oil considering the negative environmental impact it has being sprayed over soil, flora and water. Not to mention that as a chain saw is running a large proportion of chain oil coming off the chain is vaporized and your just breathing all that in!! + rapeseed oil is cheaper.

I have been using it for over 10 years, when i was working in the woods the harvester we were winching out for was running on it, so i thought if it is good enough for a £250k machine it's good enough for my £500 chainsaw, have never had any trouble but as mentioned before it can gunk up a bit.

Tapoo, Liam;) I moved to food grade veg oil 14 years ago and have used it ever since. Gummed up two oil pumps in that time (£30 each +/-). Never knackered a bar, trashed a lawn with a spill or poisoned any other bugs (notwithstanding cutting down their habitat...). It's a worthwhile choice for me but everyone to their own.