Advice on future Plans please

muttley9050

yeah i see your point, you get public liability, insure your equipment and anything else would just be personal accident cover incase you cut your arm off:biggrin:

That's what I was reckoning, but what I'm not sure of is the position over public liability for injury to people or your neighbours' property) when felling your own trees for commercial rather than leisure purposes (don't know because I haven't been in this position). This is what I would suggest checking first. You may also need to extend it if you end up with a portable mill that you start hiring out - you are likely to need to use a saw to crosscut to length, take off branch stubs etc.

These are the points where the difference may lie between cover needing proof of competence or not, hence the suggestion to talk to SWOG, who are more likely to know the answer than me :001_smile:

Alec

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks rob,

i thought that the peterson would give me another string to my bow, in that i could then mill for others, also i know a number of tree surgeons who get nice trees in backyards, i could buy the butts and thought a peterson would enable me to get in them easier.

Possibly - back yard stuff tends to be better with the Alaskan as the Peterson is still a bit of a brute to move around and a little time consuming to pack and set up.

I have done a little alaskan milling, but thought it would be too slow to think of in the long term. Everyone seems to prefer bandsaw mills but what about extra blade costs etc. Do you think this is eliminated by the extra kerf lost. Given your time again would you buy a bandsaw instead, maybe you have both, what do you use the most?

You have to be a little careful talking to those who own a bandsaw as many will always tell you bandsaws are the best over and above anything else (because they own one!). The case is horses for courses - some people will find a bandsaw far more useful than a swingmill and vice versa. I have a bandsaw now and it is very good... but for a lot of the large trees I go out and about milling in 70-80% of cases a bandsaw would not be able to mill them. If you have a yard where you get a good load of timber dropped into it and have a good loader then a bandsaw will be best. Milling out and about - probably not.

If you're milling thinner boards 1.5" or under the kerf is more relevant than 2"+

If you're doing more off piste milling the swingmill is better esp for large logs as you can set up round a log reasonably easily and once set up is super fast but limited in that they will only cut 8" to 10" (I find it a real fiddle doing the double cutting...)

I tend to use the Peterson most as around a large 3-4 foot tree, 5m long it is just so fast!

Its certainly easier to buy a secondhand bandsaw mill than a peterson. Petersons just look better to me, but will have to take advice from the experienced.

thanks

In many ways they are but looking at your situation I'd still say a good chainsaw milling set up and a moderate size bandsaw at home will work well for you. Break logs down into as big as you can move to bring home and re saw. If you do get an occasion where a swingmill has to be used then hire one in got the day.

It's very tricky as there will always be times when you wish you had a swingmill rather than a bandsaw or a larger bandsaw than the one you have etc etc etc :sneaky2::biggrin:

Alec,

the standard small wood policy covers you for damage to neighbours property or people. Take your point though that if you are running it as a business site, then that would probably be outside the remit. Also wouldn't cover anybody on site who was working for you. A good reason to speak to the company as it clearly isn't the intended cover for the policy most small wood owners use.

good tips from Rob D,, hes lucky he has all three options,,,,i have a bandsaw/ and alaskan, and from time to time rent in a lucas,/peterson as rob says its super fast at milling 6x2 etc...I`m sure the alaskan set up would suit if its only for your own use, ie making benches etc,,,,I`d sugest watching them all work first before buying!

Thanks guys, so its looking like the resounding advice is probably get bandsaw mill,so a couple more questions if thats ok. If i were to buy a mizer what would be the smallest size i should consider(would be looking at secondhand so may not have many options, secondly when working in the field is a mill on ground tracks at all practical, or should they all be trailer mounted without question. Another reason i like the peterson is that ican store it in the dry easier than i would be able to a trailer mounted mill.

thx