Class........whats it mean these days???

skyhuck

Class used to be pretty clear cut, but these days it seem very confused :confused1:

Can the unemployed really be working class, even if they have never worked???

I think I'm working class, but to be honest my wife and children are probably nearer to middle class.

Has it lost all meaning know or does "class" still have significance today????

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my life there is no such thing as class, i work for rich people one is a multi millionaire another a 5.6m lottery winner , i drink in the local with both and never do they act as if they are better than me. The days are long gone when it was them and us.

I've had a few glasses of wine so I'll repost in the morning if what I say now is tosh.

My parents were definitely working class and they certainly have strived to maintain their down trodden attitudes. Despite this, when I got to about 33yrs old I realised I don't hold their values.

My wife is middle class and my boys go to a private school. At this school there is a broad sample of parents, from the uber rich to the normal folk who's parents pay the fees (and to dodge inheritance tax).

The class system is alive and well as far as I can see but the worst thing is snobbery. Ie: people who aspire to be at the top of the ladder but are still climbing it furiously.

My client base covers the whole spectrum of people and I feel as comfortable with the person who has saved up for a year to pay me, as I do with the guy who spends £1million on a car.

So yes the system is still with us but the edges are blurred these days.

IMO.

Dream on! your mates down the pub are rich but nowhere near in the class of the elite. A million these days is a 4 bed detached in a leafy suburb somewhere in the SE

But does it matter???

A mate of mine who I go walking with sold a business last year for 50 Million and he still works for said business, but he's a great guy, no different than any of the other lads that walk with us, so does it really matter???

in this day in age money is mearly a figure 1 no matter whether it is at the bottom of your bank statement or the value of your house , Class it what differentiates the moderately wealthy that have to let everyone know they have money and the people that get on with life and make no bones of the fact they have money . This then brings into account upbringing, life values and respect for the fellow human being .

Well thats my thought anyway