Seeking advice on pulling tree with tractor...

swinny

Erm,

I baint never ploughed a furrow in my life, nor did I claim too.

I will however stand by what I said in respect of altering the wheel width to suit the plough.

I suggest RNJ that you visit the BFF site and search for information on correct ploughing techniques and set-up.

As others have said the plough should naturally follow the tractor, the lower links providing pure tractive force, the sway chains merely there to prevent sdeways movment when the plough is lifted.

There are also those who maintain that the top-link should be in the slotted hole.

btw in NI on our generally smaller family owned units, most ploughing is still done with 3 or 4 furrow reversible ploughs, with a wheel still in the furrow.

Cheers,

Marcus

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Er well i kinda live in the middle of the largest arable region in england ! and the number of Ploughs being used around here alot are still in furrow models and ill still maintain that a good plough in good condition set correctly will no need to use sway chains as it will follow properly but hey i know nothing !

in factmost modern tractors if not all of them the sway bars as they are usually now unlock automaticaly when the linkage drops to a preset adjustable point !

Difflock the slotted top link hole is used on tractors with lower link draft sensing rather than toplink draft sensing where the ptoling has to be ridged to alow it to operate the draft sensing linkage

Please dont try and compare new ploughs to old as everything that used to be manually adjusted is all done hydraulically at the touch of a button.

Heres a modern Lemken video to highlight the point. Notice in particular how little sway you get when lifting the modern plough. Do the same on an old plough and it would be swaying from side to side.

Juwel - Lemken - The AgroVision Company

I only highlighted Lemken as my old plough is a Lemken which is fully adjustable for wheel tracking with 7 holes in a row held in place with just 2 pins .And yes I was brought up on heavy clay land in Lincolnshire with the plough being made redundant on the local estates in the early eighties with the advent of a 1 pass system

Please dont try and compare new ploughs to old as everything that used to be manually adjusted is all done hydraulically at the touch of a button.

Heres a modern Lemken video to highlight the point. Notice in particular how little sway you get when lifting the modern plough. Do the same on an old plough and it would be swaying from side to side.

Juwel - Lemken - The AgroVision Company

I only highlighted Lemken as my old plough is a Lemken which is fully adjustable for wheel tracking with 7 holes in a row held in place with just 2 pins .And yes I was brought up on heavy clay land in Lincolnshire with the plough being made redundant on the local estates in the early eighties with the advent of a 1 pass system

Erm im not comparing it to a modern plough i used to plough with an old ransomes TSR 300 and a Kverneland 5 furrow the most hydraulic that either were are turnover !

also ploughed alot with three furrow and two furrow conventionals with no hydraulics all spanners and crosshafts and leveling boes ! and erm spent 8 years working in a college where we were teaching machinery operation and setup

and here we were using threee Dowdeswells one Dp8a and two Dp7s !

and a variety of conventional ploughs and a range of tractors ?

and where i grew up its anything from heavy weald clays throught shingle and sand with a little or no body to it !

i think we can be to differ on our opinions and experences and call a halt to this derail ?

The op wanted to know about What is best for Pulling trees with tractors and this isnt ploughing !