a nice cut for hung trees

dadio

That is exactly what I AM saying.. everyone that has called this cut unpredictable must not have used it... I have used it over 1000 times... the but always drops straight down and slightly in towards the supporting tree... UNLESS the tree is top heavy, which is extremely rare scenario. So it may look scary, and even FEEL scary when making the cut, but it is safe!.. just because this is a cut you have not been taught or shown before does not make it unreliable... just unfamiliar.. how can you cast such judgments without trying it yourself?

When I call it safer, I mean in the largest possible sense... someone shared a story of a death resulting from the cutter trying to fall the supporting tree.. If he had been familiar with the plunged vertical snap cut, he would have had another option.. perhaps he had access to a winch or equipment that could have pulled the tree free.. maybe not... either way he made a choice that cost him his life... if he had known of another choice that worked as well and as reliable as this cut, he would have most likely been home for dinner..

So the question is not.. is this cut safer than textbook methods (which I could argue it is). the real question should be.. is this cut safer than other options in real world scenarios... try it sometime and let us know..

Thanks

and how many have died from not following the rule book ? i too have used this cut and would not try to say otherwise and saving used it many many times i would not call it predictable neither would a advocate having to work inside the danger zone when there is an alternative.

in your eyes you may be the greatest tree cutter there is but as i was once told by a retired tree cutter " There are plenty of dead heroes" .

May i be so rude as to ask if you have ever seen someone killed in this game or had to clear up the aftermath of a fatality ??

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

used it many many times i would not call it predictable

What specifically makes it unpredictable? certainly not where the butt is going to fall.... the factors that are going to casue a difference in tension or comprssion are understandable and therefore "predictable". So the only thing that I can tink of that could be considered unpredictable would be the exact timing of the release... though that's a stretch... calling me or the technique names doesn't do much to further the conversation or understanding

are we at the point of saying that no new cuts can be developed.... or that all acceptable cuts are already in the "book"?

Probably not but even if your cut would somehow miraculously make it in the the book! I still would not use it!

There is no way in hell you was in control of that situation, foolish and down right stupid calling it any thing but unsafe....:thumbdown:

Sorry Daniel, I admire you for a small portion of your work but this is defiantly not one of them.

In the second pic 'triangle' shouldnt the two angled cuts be at the front!!??? Ie two gobs then come in from the back straight!

I don't know for sure but two gobs doesn't sound much use and isnt the coos bay for making a quick back cut by having less to get through - surely a conventional back cut is going to be the same amount of cutting whether one gob or two?

We've used a twist on that cut in the picture for bringing down stems or smaller trees down slowly on the hinge by leaving the hinge triangular in that way and a wide faced gob. Works well on chewy imbers like Birch, Leylandii, Cypress etc and where the drop zone is fairly fragile (driveways, lawns etc).