Ropetek sidewinder

Ewan Murray

Hardly built from scratch, Paul admitted in the other thread that it is completely put together from off the shelf components that he purchases.

Not built to withstand the rigors of tree work, and if it does , I would consider yourself lucky.

One guy already broke the spring ? IMHO it wouldnt survive my gearbox. The first time junior droppped the tirfor on my saddle it would be toast. If it cannot survive the gear box I cannot use it.

Now before y'all freak out, Im not knocking Mr Cox, he is open about this, but people shouldnt be harboring the illusion this is a made for trees bit of gear, its a standard cord winder simply stuffed with Beeline and strapped on a harness.

Just google 'retractable cord reel' .

Just out of interest, how many tirfors do you keep in your climbing bag? :biggrin:

Lots of tree gear is built from components already available, GRCS, most harnesses, ropes, carabiners, trango cinch, all borrowed from other industries. This is starting to change as Arb becomes a bigger market in its own right, but until there is a market for many thousands of a particular item it won't be built from scratch.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm sure I read that Paul Cox has put a stronger spring mechanism in it.

Even if he hasn't and the whole thing is just a big washing line thingy, he's done a lot if work sorting it all out and sending prototypes to various people.

I think he should be commended for his tenacity rather than slagging the product because it won't withstand machinery being chucked on it.

Just a thought.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Well I'm sure I read that Paul Cox has put a stronger spring mechanism in it.

Even if he hasn't and the whole thing is just a big washing line thingy, he's done a lot if work sorting it all out and sending prototypes to various people.

I think he should be commended for his tenacity rather than slagging the product because it won't withstand machinery being chucked on it.

Just a thought.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

either way ill be waiting on some user reviews before i consider parting cash for one.

The question is how long will the spring last and keep up that level of winding. I saw a video of a guy doing a demo in cold icy conditions. I think he said the unit was a couple of months old and it was already leaving a small amount of slack out.

Ive already emailed them. Thats hiw i knew about the price etc. they said that they'll be placing the sidewinder on their website this week. If you want to purchase one they've asked to email them and they'll send you a Paypal invoice

Sent using fones4hobbits

Just out of interest, how many tirfors do you keep in your climbing bag?

None.

I dont have a 'climbing bag' per se, I have a box on a truck, in that box, sometimes theres as many as three tirfors, and cables to go with them. Small medium and big...lol. How many tirfors do you have ?

As far as slagging his product, its a cord reel, get over it, they sell them literally by the millions, its a mass marketed piece of equipment.

As far as the work whoever has put into it, please, spare me your platitudes, he loaded a standard find em at home hardware cord real with Beeline and strapped it on a saddle, and then sent a couple of them to people.

Thats what he did, hardly the great wall of china.

I understand theres lots of tree nerds who get their panties all tied up in bowlines when people actually speak the truth, and deign to tarnish someones glorious reputation(lol lol lol), but I could honestly care less.

Paul saw soemthing he thought would be helpful to some and went with it, Im not knocking that in the slightest, I was only replying to the fact that someone thought he had designed this thing himself, and he did not, he cannot rebuild the springs or put tough springs in it, at least the last time I read the thread Bonner started at the other forum.

Maybe Paul will be able to source them, replacement springs, if you could easily and cheaply replace the spring, I would look at the Sidewinder differently, but if there is no way to replace the spring, its a toy to me.

But hey, we all love our toys.

... he cannot rebuild the springs or put tough springs in it, at least the last time I read the thread Bonner started at the other forum... but if there is no way to replace the spring, its a toy to me.

But hey, we all love our toys.

LOL! It never ceases to amaze me how people that have not used an item can have such in-depth understanding on how it will work or how long it will last.

I was the one that broke the spring on the other form. How could you have read that and not read how it happened? This was not the springs fault. I took the hole thing apart to see what was in there and then managed to wined the cord on the spool backwards during reassembly. That is the only reason it broke. These springs as you say, are out there and in use with thousands of hours proving that they can do what they were made to do.

My new Sidewinder has been working great with no signs of wearing out. I can understand that this is not something everyone will want to use. Just make that decision for the correct reasons.

Dave