How many Arbtalkers are AA members

jaime bray

No for me. Have thought about it but like like what Andy said can t see it benefiting my business. I am county council approved on the buy with confidence scheme I find that works well. Maybe the aa should look into a similar smaller scale scheme maybe in conjunction with trading standards.

I find the Internet a usefull tool to keep up to date with recent developments.

Hi there,

BWC scheme isn't occupation specific at all and hence the various CC TSs Depts. up and down the country who are using the scheme aren't intersted in 'partnering' with industry specifc bodies such as 'ARB Approved Contractor' (ArbAC). I'm sure this does have benefits in the domestic sector, as it gives consumers reassuarnce and 'peace of mind' of a reputable contractor, but it does not imply industry competence, work quality nor safe working practices as ArbAC does.

Whilst acknowledging the primary benefit of ArbAC is in the commercial sector, inc. (some) Local Authorities...and hopefully soon to increase as we register the scheme under SSIP (see SSIP - Safety Schemes In Procurement) used in procurement procedures, we have a 'small business' accreditation, in effect, whihc costs cirac £500 per year or nearer £600 if you go CHAS.

Cheers..

Paul

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, thank you for an interesting post here (and Jaime, apologies for 'jumping in'.)

The idea of an 'AA Approved Arborist', i.e. an accredited individual as opposed to a business as we currently have with 'ARB Approved Contractor', has been mooted before but I'm unsure of the benefits it could bring and indeed the need for it. We currently have the ISA Cert Arborist / the Euro Tree Worker / the NPTC etc. system so what could we add? (That said I do acknowledge these are prinicpally qualifications and not necessarily demonstrating competence and proficiency.)

Thoughts???...'et al'!

Thanks again..

Paul

I think there is a need for it, just as there is a need for the ISA. However, the ISA just isnt well enough represented in this country. Take America for example, its far more widely recognised, not just within the industry but by the public also. The recent TCIA expo I attended is a good example of this. The biggest tradeshow in the US, and yet it seems the main focus is on education, with a lot of people making the journey to attend primarily to gain their CEU's for the ISA accreditation.

I think if there was a scheme in the UK, be it ISA or AA run, and it was marketed and represented well enough then yes it would work like it does in the states and it could be a benefit to everyone.

Hi ANdy, thank you, an interetsing post.

If I may, does the FCA meet your needs as an arborist or as a business, or both?

What would / could / should we do to attract you? Is it a cost issue?

Thanks in anticpation..

Paul

I think it's the no-bull approach, does what it says on the tin, represents contractors in disputes and so on.

At present, health issues have grossly affected my business "plan" (such as it ever was) and led me to re evaluate the direction I'm headed, in short I had to wait and see, and to an extent, I'm still waiting.

How can the AA attract me?

I look around my area, and the most successful contractors in Arb are not AA members, let alone AAAC. They have done well enough without the AA moniker attached to their vehicles, on commercial contracts as well as domestic, including local district council work, rail contracts and highways.

Why does the AA need me?

What can the AA offer that I don't already have, apart from another headache from filling in even more paper and jumping through hoops?

The cost is irrelevant, to a point, if I want something then I shall have it, but it needs to deliver, above and beyond what is achievable without it for it to be worth while financially.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-AA, or any other organisation, but I don't think I have ever been asked once in 16years or so if I'm a member of any trade organisation.