How many Arbtalkers are AA members

jaime bray

No

Unless it will increase my workload I’m not interested, I think it only works for the commercial side of things. As I aim for household/Small scale, Only the commercial side of heard of it down to Health and Safety and similar bodies. You could ask half of my clients and they haven never heard of them.

Now Paul here's a question

Why do i need to be an AA member what will it do for me? Or Why would you Advise me to be an AA member?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No

- the AA has many good points but is too H&S - centric for me. I would like the AA to be a CORGI type guarantee of workmanship....but accept that this would be difficult, if not, impossible to implement. Without the "guarantee' of workmanship it loses its attraction for me. This would also have to be recognised by the general public, which makes it a monumentaly big ask.

No

Unless it will increase my workload I’m not interested, I think it only works for the commercial side of things. As I aim for household/Small scale, Only the commercial side of heard of it down to Health and Safety and similar bodies. You could ask half of my clients and they haven never heard of them.

Now Paul here's a question

Why do i need to be an AA member what will it do for me? Or Why would you Advise me to be an AA member?

Hi Tom, to be honest it will do as much or as little as you want. Depends how much you engage with the orgainsation as it engages with you, updates knowledge, networking etc. are some key benefits of AA membership.

I'm pleased to hear you think only half your clients won't have heard of us, I'd suggest it's probably nearer 99% to be honest...but then how many other trade bodies / accreditations (other than CORGI/GAS SAFE or maybe NICEIC) would they know...why should they?

What we need to do better is 'arm' AA contractors with stuff to help educare poeple as to what's involved and why they are accredited.

Give me a call / pm should you wish to discuss further.

Thanks..

Paul

No

- the AA has many good points but is too H&S - centric for me. I would like the AA to be a CORGI type guarantee of workmanship....but accept that this would be difficult, if not, impossible to implement. Without the "guarantee' of workmanship it loses its attraction for me. This would also have to be recognised by the general public, which makes it a monumentaly big ask.

HI Albedo, thanks for the post.

Like it or not, as I know you know, H&S is increasingly the way of the world, rightly or wrongly, and I do my best to interpret it and help others to comply. Afterall that's what sets us/you apart from the 'not-so-reputable' element, in part.

Unfortunately whilst we do seek to gaurantee high quality workmanship the reality is it's (too) often outside the control of the business quoting / appointed. If Mrs Miggins wants her tree 'topping' and despite best efforts to educate her otherwise she sticks to her guns, what do you (or an ArbAC) do when you've got a living to earn...better to do it safely with a reputable contractor yeah? Increasingly too we are seeing LA spesc that leave much to be desired but it's often the highways engineers and/or 'bean-counters' influencing this. Hence quality is indeed very hard to control at source.

The ArbAC SCheme will never be the CORGI / GAS SAFE equivalent for tree surgery, it's simply not BIG enough, not dangerous enough (to 3rd parties / MoPs) and doesn't generate enough revenue to even start to appear on the central government radar whihc is where it would need to come from.

As I've said many times, the only option is for self-regulation and even suggesting such in this industry is a big enough challenge :biggrin:

Cheers..

Paul

HI Albedo, thanks for the post.

Like it or not, as I know you know, H&S is increasingly the way of the world, rightly or wrongly, and I do my best to interpret it and help others to comply. Afterall that's what sets us/you apart from the 'not-so-reputable' element, in part.

Unfortunately whilst we do seek to gaurantee high quality workmanship the reality is it's (too) often outside the control of the business quoting / appointed. If Mrs Miggins wants her tree 'topping' and despite best efforts to educate her otherwise she sticks to her guns, what do you (or an ArbAC) do when you've got a living to earn...better to do it safely with a reputable contractor yeah? Increasingly too we are seeing LA spesc that leave much to be desired but it's often the highways engineers and/or 'bean-counters' influencing this. Hence quality is indeed very hard to control at source.

The ArbAC SCheme will never be the CORGI / GAS SAFE equivalent for tree surgery, it's simply not BIG enough, not dangerous enough (to 3rd parties / MoPs) and doesn't generate enough revenue to even start to appear on the central government radar whihc is where it would need to come from.

As I've said many times, the only option is for self-regulation and even suggesting such in this industry is a big enough challenge :biggrin:

Cheers..

Paul

Hi Paul

This is all old ground isn't it.

How about you send me some stickers for my truck and some copy for my advert.

I'd gladly display them for you as the public won't have a clue what it means...they will just assume that I must be an ace tree surgeon.

Cheers mate:001_smile: