Our Firewooding Equipment

liamjordan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is our log splitter that my dad and i built

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EtAvLboLWE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EtAvLboLWE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Do worry about "SOME" who think any technique thats not in the NPTC assessment is not to be used.

I think putting the back cut in first, when winching, is a very good idea as he was able to see if the cut started to open or close and thus judge if he had enough pull or too much,.

I'll take that as a direct dig at me then shall I,, cheers "mate"

I would never use that technique, there is no need to use it, if you unwittingly put too much pressure on the winch it would be an instant barber chair.

Putting a gob in first reduces that risk tremendously.

...and after all that the tree went the wrong way..

Please note how I tried to deflect from critisising, it seems like "some" people revel in trying to belittle others

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

You can tell from your Grandfathers body language that he knows exactly what hes doing and has done it all a hundred times before.

You really worry me sometimes.

I've just watched video one again and you have got to be joking with the above statement, right ?

If you can honestly say to me that new members or any member of this forum can draw inspiration from video one then I will gladly remove myself from this forum and that's no joke, to advocate that video is totally outragous

I would never use that technique, there is no need to use it, if you unwittingly put too much pressure on the winch it would be an instant barber chair.

Putting a gob in first reduces that risk tremendously.

Totally disagree, IMO, putting the gob in first allows the tree too flex more, putting more tension at the rear of the cut, making a B/C more likely.

I'll take that as a direct dig at me then shall I,, cheers "mate"

It should of read "don't worry" not "do worry", sorry, typo.

We often disagree Dean, but I thought that was just part of our relationship.

If I have caused offense, you have my sincerest apology.

That was not my intention.

Sorry Dean :blushing:

Totally disagree, IMO, putting the gob in first allows the tree too flex more, putting more tension at the rear of the cut, making a B/C more likely.

Putting a gob in first releases some of the compression (if there is any) easiest way to demonstrate would be to put a nick in the tension side of a Bow (as in bow and arrow) it would go twang with the shallowest of cuts, now do the same on the compression side, it would have to be a deeper cut and because some of the compression has been released it would be a less vicous twang.

My first comment was far from rude, it had a smiley after the comment, but to blatently advocate such practices as in the first vid as "Great stuff" and "he really knows what he is doing" is a tad irresponsible given that this forum is an open forum and lots of impressionable people are members. But to then say that "SOME" members, meaning me, only use NPTC techniques is suggestive that I shouldn't be listened to and is rubbishing my comment, which I find offensive

The tree went the wrong way, it went 2 oclock to the winch wire BTW