Beginners climbing guide, hints, tips and general climbing techniques

Adam Bourne

Steve,

Get a book. Either Tree climber's companion by Jeff Jepson or Tree climber's guide by Sharon Lilly. Both cover everything you'll need to know, but there's no substitute for training...

What's the basic setup for spike climbing (so i can start to plan a budget)?

Not heard of a soft link, or crabs, and not even sure what a normal climbing set up is.....

...then you probably shouldn't be climbing unsupervised.

Not being funny mate, I'm just considering your safety. The Climbers companion is a good start. It should tell you what you need for a starting setup.

And please don't go spiking trees unless the tree in question is to be removed.

...then you probably shouldn't be climbing unsupervised.

Not being funny mate, I'm just considering your safety. The Climbers companion is a good start. It should tell you what you need for a starting setup.

And please don't go spiking trees unless the tree in question is to be removed.

Heck, I've been climbing trees unsupervised since childhood, and more often in welly boots! But saying that, I never go beyond what I know I'm capable of and comfortable with.

Yep, I will be looking at getting lessons....

All the trees in question are for felling, initially about 150 of them; all Sitka Spruce & Western Hemlock.... not that I'll be spiking up all of them, just enough to clear space for felling at ground level & to prevent hangups.

To all the new guys welcome,mans I hope you get some answers to the questions you have, but I'd just like to say that if your unsure of what is required kit wise and the safe methods of climbing then you should really seek proper training.

Just really don't like the thought of someone potentially having a bad accident as climbing is dangerous enough!

Good luck!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Heck, I've been climbing trees unsupervised since childhood, and more often in welly boots! But saying that, I never go beyond what I know I'm capable of and comfortable with.

I hear ya man, but climbing trees as a kid, and working timber with a chainsaw are very different ballparks.

Don't want to put you off, and it's not as tough as a lot will make out, but I'd hate to think that someone took advice from this forum as substitute for training and injured themselves.

Good luck if you get training fella, it's a good buzz.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi fellas I've been climbing for about a year now at college, I've bought all my climbing gear except for spikes. I've climbed on the Velcro bashlins a few times and really liked them, just thought I'd ask about them before I buy.

It's all down to personnel preference at the end if the day mate, are they the only ones you have tried? If it's possible at all try a few other makes, hard to do I know. There's lots if decent spikes on the market but what your comfy in and what we tell you to buy won't work I'm afraid :) hope this helps..