Stop giving your logs away...

Chris Gagen

Didn't happen to count the logs in the pics did ya? Of course the size of the logs makes a difference but I've found over countless loads 1m3 has been approx 300 logs.

Funny you should say that, I didn't count the logs in this instance however I recently had to stack a load (from a vented bag...) round the back of a customers house. Having not been given prior notice of having to do this, (yes I did charge extra:sneaky2:) I used a recycling sack as a tray to carry the logs from truck to storage place. I noted that I was loading 20 logs each time. Totalled 560 logs...:ohmy: This was based on 9 inch logs split to house brick size and counting 2 small logs as 1 regular size log. :blushing:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now stack the logs in the bag and see how full it is, you are selling 0.75cubic meter of logs and 0.25 cubic meter of AIR.

Only joking but unless there is continuity with the product then you will never get the same in each bag.

Thats why sand / gravel has space at the top.

would be interesting to see a bag ful of stacked logs , just to see how much space around the logs there is!!

I was on the other thread,and my thoughts came about because I normally fill from the processor into a cube bag supported from an old David brown foreloader - the bounce not being very effective!

this is done at my yard and has been fine,but last year I took my processor to the felling site and bought the bags back to the yard in a trailer and was amazed at how much the load settled during the 2 mile journey - it looks at least 20% down

I previously worked with chemicals and we measured dry powders using 'tap' density - literally banging the container on the bench,settled the load by the same sort of percentage

Think it's best to carry on as is,no one has complained yet,log count sounds interesting though!

Funny you should say that, I didn't count the logs in this instance however I recently had to stack a load (from a vented bag...) round the back of a customers house. Having not been given prior notice of having to do this, (yes I did charge extra:sneaky2:) I used a recycling sack as a tray to carry the logs from truck to storage place. I noted that I was loading 20 logs each time. Totalled 560 logs...:ohmy: This was based on 9 inch logs split to house brick size and counting 2 small logs as 1 regular size log. :blushing:

Blimey! Mine are 9" long by 4-6" across the end typically with a snaffle of branch wood in there. 280 - 320 always comes up at bang on 1m3 loose...

Blimey! Mine are 9" long by 4-6" across the end typically with a snaffle of branch wood in there. 280 - 320 always comes up at bang on 1m3 loose...

There's more 4 inch than 6 inch in mine but still just a snaffle (great word, word of the day I think) of branch wood. But this is exactly my point, waaaay to much in a 'cube' bag...

I'll make a point of counting when I do stage 2 of the experiment. :)

Inspired by the thread titled Stacking arb bags of logs I thought I would start this thread...

Carried out stage 1 of a simple experiment today, the pictures should speak volumes (pardon the pun...)

Picture 1.

A metal stillage dimensions 1.43m x 0.88m. Stretch wrapped to a height of 0.80m. (This gives an internal volume of 1.00672m3) loose filled with logs to a level top.

Picture 2.

A "cubic meter" vented log bag, filled with the same logs as were in the stillage in pic 1. Unshaken.

Picture 3.

The same bag with exactly the same amount of logs in it but having now been shaken/bounced

What I'm trying to illustrate here is that what I have up till now been terming a "cubic meter of logs" is clearly rather more. I will find out how much more in stage 2 of the experiment, this will involve emptying a bounced and brim full bag into the stillage and measuring exactly how much over a cubic meter there is in a "full " bag. I'm hazarding a guess at up to 0.4cbm over...

Perhaps worth mentioning here the first 2 things that spring to mind against bouncing the bags;

a. Notice how an awful lot of products have the words "contents may settle in transit". A loose volume is a loose volume, surely if shaken down it is no longer truly loose...

b. Would the bag manufacturers really recommend bouncing the bags when full of a heavy material?? I doubt it.

Picture 4.

Don't get me wrong, I have up until now also been bouncing the bags and topping them up not only so they look presentable but also so they are a more uniform volume and so they will stack safely. I am now rethinking both my pricing and my storage methods.

P.S.

The stretch wrapping I know is not suitable for storing logs due to poor air circulation but it has sufficed to create a quick measured cubic meter vessel... I'm planning to fit weld mesh to the sides but have not that far yet...:blushing:

Nice job Chris!

Without the pictures this would have been harder to demonstrate.

Incidentally do you still tip the bags into your truck and roller deck them off at the other end or are you delivering the bag?

I've now got away from bags and I'm using IBC cages

which works for me, the volumes are consistent and I don't have any of these bag issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job Chris!

Without the pictures this would have been harder to demonstrate.

Incidentally do you still tip the bags into your truck and roller deck them off at the other end or are you delivering the bag?

I've now got away from bags and I'm using IBC cages

which works for me, the volumes are consistent and I don't have any of these bag issues...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Chris!

Still emptying bag at my yard on to load handler in pickup, glad I am too, as had been said the slack bags look terrible but a properly full one is too much wood to be called a cube...

The other thing that has made me think about a different container is longevity, the last batch of bags I bought are completely poo, falling apart after one cycle in some cases